• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Mannlicher Carbine 375H&H 20' Barrel

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

baugust

Hi All,

I am from South Africa and regulary hunt in the bushveld area where the brush is quite thick. I must say the Sako 20' barrel is a pleasure to walk and stalk compared to the longer barrels. I found that I had to spend time on the range to get used to the handling of the compact carbine and mine does require a steady hand in the stand up and when quick follow up shots are called for. I would not attemp shots longer than 150 meters but must say most bushveld shots are generally under 100 meter. Great rifle and great caliber.

Bill

Hi Bill -

I've often wondered how controlable the muzzle flip is in a carbine in this caliber? My experience has been with the full sized rifles, and to tell the truth, find the flip quite annoying when developing loads from a bench. In actual hunting I imagine the carbine would be manageable as long as you're used to it and ready to deal with it?

Thanks, Dick

Bill,

I'd sure like to see a picture of your Sako Carbine .375 H & H. That has got to be a real great rifle. Kills out of one end and wounds out of the other?

Wes

Hi Dick,
Your right there is more muzzle lift on the short barrel but with practice one can overcome this. I have no problems with mine but I have spent a fair amount of time at the range. This is essentially a very loud rifle and does attract a lot of attention when practicing at the range.
Regards,
Bill

Hi Wes,
Sure is a great rifle....here`s some pics. I am going to hunt Kudu this weekend. Will post some pics when I return from this hunt hoping it will be successful.
Regards,
Bill
DSCN0822.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0822.JPG
    DSCN0822.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0823.JPG
    DSCN0823.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN0824.JPG
    DSCN0824.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 36
Bill,

Thanks for posting the pics of your rifle. That is one fine looking "working" gun!

Good luck on your Kudu hunt.

I'm jealous, as I go in today for two knee surgeries in the next week...hospitals suck.

Wes

Hi Wes,
Hope you are doing fine. My son and I went on the Kudu hunt. We could not come right with the Kudu but managed to harvest an Impala and a Blue wildebeest. (the poor mans Buffalo) See pics.
Regards,
Bill

Attachments

• DSC00157.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00629.jpg
    DSC00629.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 27
I have always wanted to go to South Africa to many Wilber Smith book on cold Alaska nights. your 375 h&h is a great rifle I have the same one. At the range I notice the barrel rise but when I am shooting moose I have snapped off several rounds and never noticed it.
Darry

Bill -

Congrats on the hunt and thanks for the pics. So, you didn't end up using the snub nose 375 after all then?

Dick

Hi Darry,

Let me know if you find your way to South Afrika. I can recommend some excellent hunting venues depending on what you want on the menu.

Bill

Hi Dick,

Thank you. Unfortuanatley the subby was at camp. I took the 270 win that day as we were hunting Kudu and impala. Being the end of the hunting season the animals were very skitish and long shots were expected. As it turned out the Wilderbeast presented itseld at about 80 yards. It took a full frontal shot and was recovered 50 yards down the track. We never managed to get near the Kudu and my sons Impala was bagged late in the afternoon as they were crossing a dry river bed at about 250 yards.

Bill

Bill,

Nice animals and it sounds like you had a great time. Sure wish you would have taken the critters with your "snubbie" tho'...

Picked up a set of .375 H & H dies. Older like NIB. From the time when RCBS was making really good stuff. Guess this means I'll have to build a .375 H & H now...have always wanted one.

Wes

Latest posts

Back