• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako made rifle scoopes?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Noplans

Hi

I saw that there is a Sako rifle scoope for sale.
Anyone know if they where made in Finland.
Larsa

Attachments

• DB39596C-904F-4B72-B5FC-7E0A31055F72.jpeg
    DB39596C-904F-4B72-B5FC-7E0A31055F72.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 56
Hello.
I have never heard of Sako being in the scope business but anything is possible. Could this be a Sako emblem added by a previous owner? Could be an outsourced item as part of what may have been a promotional package. The experts will let you know if Sako may have at one time sold an outsourced scope under their name. Sakojim.

Yes, there were a few scopes marketed under the Sako name. They were made by a contractor, not by Sako. I've slept a few nights since first coming across that information, but I had one in my possession for a while. I do know that Jim, our SCC president, had one at one time. He might be able to tell you who the manufacturer was.

I've never seen a Sako scope, but I used to have a Tikka scope. I bought it in Helsinki in the early 90's when I lived there. At the time, Tikka was selling a complete line of scopes in Finland. I'm pretty sure the Tikka scopes were made by Hakko in Japan - my Tikka scope looked identical to a Hakko that was sold under its own name. I sold it to Sean, the guy who organized the former Sako collectors' club and website (after SCA and before the current SCC). I regret selling it; wish I still had it. I've never seen another Tikka scope in the USA.

Of course, the Sako scope in the photo is much, much older than the Tikka scopes.

I'm pretty sure the Tikka scopes were made by Hakko in Japan
Yes, Hakko is the optics company that I couldn't remember. I think that the "Sako"-branded scopes were also made by Hakko, a Japanese company which has made many proprietary-branded riflescopes and other optics over the years. Hakko is capable of making excellent optics, but naturally they gear the quality to whatever is required by the retail price which the proprietary customer is aiming for.

A Sako Scoope ! I want one ! Ice cream would be like 10 times better! Imagine the accuracy!

no really, I remember finding one of these Sako Branded Scopes many years ago. When I found they were not actually Sako scopes I lost interest.
I guess it would be neat to have one set up on something from the same period of time. I know I’ve seen worse choices atop a fine Sako before.

The Old Hippie

A Sako Scoope ! I want one ! Ice cream would be like 10 times better! Imagine the accuracy!

no really, I remember finding one of these Sako Branded Scopes many years ago. When I found they were not actually Sako scopes I lost interest.
I guess it would be neat to have one set up on something from the same period of time. I know I’ve seen worse choices atop a fine Sako before.

The Old Hippie
Actually Hakko made, and still does, some very fine scopes. They just don't import much to the US under their own name. I've owned a couple over the years, including one with a multi-colored reticle that used ambient light instead of a battery that I regret letting go with the rifle it was on that I sold to this day.

Hey guys!

We’ve discussed this on several occassions over the years, starting some time after I took over the old MSN bulletin board from Sean and Ralph and here is one thread:

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-labeled-scopes.8027/#post-38240

There are other threads as well.

I still have one labeled scope with both Firearms International and Sako labels and it is Made in Japan.

When I get a chance I’ll try to locate it for better pics. There are a few versions of Sako labeled scopes and I have seen at least three different versions. You’ll find one in the link above and there is at least one other, quite similar to mine with only a Sako label on it.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are also Tikka labeled scopes. I’ve seen a few over the years and they are not easy to find just as Sako labeled scopes. Or Sako labeled knives for that matter.

But an interesting feature on some Tikka scopes is the tube diameter which is an odd 28mm. To my knowledge, there are no other scopes with this diameter but I haven’t done any research to confirm this so there may be some out there.

And to make it even more interesting, there are original Sako split ring mounts for 28mm scopes. Hard to find, yes!

I have a set coming in a while to add to my collection and I will post pics of it at a later date. Will also try to find a Tikka scope just for fun.

I attach a few pics of Sako scopes and a Sako Puukko (knife) I have available but better pics will come.

Jim
5CEAFCC1-90E2-40B2-AC08-37F2C85AB560.jpeg 36FAB658-E7CE-4683-985B-EDEA302FC819.jpeg 146798FF-4585-44F8-91D8-DDB7A0FAECB1.jpeg 1666143A-B76D-44BE-BE83-D74A3F1F4C3C.jpeg C0EDFC3E-C9A4-48D8-8730-DD29924AB93C.jpeg D5CB1E54-24C1-44F9-A90A-F6BDA02330E5.jpeg

True that Stonecreek
The Puuko or Finka as the Russians refer it is a Scandinavian design, a flat spined ,full tang work horse. It’s been in use in Western Europe for ever.

But I want that one!

LOL!

Hippie!

Sako or Tikka never made scopes in Finland, they were manufactured by Hakko Japan. But Valmet did manufacture a small amount of scopes as Valmet was a finish ak47 suplier to defence force and they offered scopes too, but force selected Zeiss and S&B for their use. Valmet scope was 28mm tube (propably they have good quality 28mm in stock? - very Finnish way). Sako also made 28 split rings.

Attachments

• DE402113-6899-4D9F-AC9E-599A157AB72E.jpeg
    DE402113-6899-4D9F-AC9E-599A157AB72E.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 25
  • 2F169EC5-70C1-49DA-A597-1216C63FC0BB.jpeg
    2F169EC5-70C1-49DA-A597-1216C63FC0BB.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 34472759-70C9-4FEB-ADE4-69E13353D2DD.jpeg
    34472759-70C9-4FEB-ADE4-69E13353D2DD.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 22
Hey guys!

We’ve discussed this on several occassions over the years, starting some time after I took over the old MSN bulletin board from Sean and Ralph and here is one thread:

https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-labeled-scopes.8027/#post-38240

There are other threads as well.

I still have one labeled scope with both Firearms International and Sako labels and it is Made in Japan.

When I get a chance I’ll try to locate it for better pics. There are a few versions of Sako labeled scopes and I have seen at least three different versions. You’ll find one in the link above and there is at least one other, quite similar to mine with only a Sako label on it.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are also Tikka labeled scopes. I’ve seen a few over the years and they are not easy to find just as Sako labeled scopes. Or Sako labeled knives for that matter.

But an interesting feature on some Tikka scopes is the tube diameter which is an odd 28mm. To my knowledge, there are no other scopes with this diameter but I haven’t done any research to confirm this so there may be some out there.

And to make it even more interesting, there are original Sako split ring mounts for 28mm scopes. Hard to find, yes!

I have a set coming in a while to add to my collection and I will post pics of it at a later date. Will also try to find a Tikka scope just for fun.

I attach a few pics of Sako scopes and a Sako Puukko (knife) I have available but better pics will come.

Jim
View attachment 23064 View attachment 23065 View attachment 23066 View attachment 23068 View attachment 23069 View attachment 23071
That Sako knife is a really cool item. For those unfamiliar with Finland, the Kuusamo knife company is a maker of good-quality knives located in Kuusamo, Finland. Kuusamo is located in northern Finland, in Ostrobothnia near the Russian border. I've been there, or at least to the airport which is the gateway to the Ruka ski area. Skiing Ruka is a different experience from most US ski resorts. The mountains are rolling hills called tunturi (Finland does not have Alpine-style mountains). When I went there was only one chair lift, which was closed most of the time due to wind. All the other lifts were surface lifts (T-bar and poma). I was a pretty new skier at the time, just getting off the beginner slopes onto intermediate (blue). There was one blue run that I kept eyeing and wanted to try but the drop at the top looked like jumping off a cliff. Well, I finally got my courage up and found that it wasn't any steeper than the runs I'd been skiing all morning, it just looked intimidating. Coming back up on the T-bar, I was paired with a very nice local woman. We started a conversation (in Finnish, of course), which lasted quite a while because surface lifts don't move very fast. As we were about to unload, she said, "You speak Finnish with a funny accent. Are you one of those Swedish Finns from Turku?" Once I stopped laughing, I explained that no, I was an actual foreigner, an American diplomat living in Helsinki. It was clear that she'd never met a foreigner who could speak Finnish before, and that the idea that such a creature existed was new. Fun times in the Arctic.

Here's my souvenir from Ruka:
Ruka flask.JPG

Latest posts

Back