• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello from New Hampshire

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Mark170

I am a new member, happy to have stumbled upon this site. I borrowed a Sako from my hunting guide in Montana and was instantly a Sako fan. I am looking for a model 85 in 300 WSM, preferable stainless and not a Finlight- I prefer a bit of weight. I am told that the model 85 is either discontinued or not being exported to the US. Can someone enlighten me as to the status of the model 85? Thanks everyone.

If that is the caliber you are looking for, you might take a look at Gunbroker that has a Model 75 in .300 WSM listing.
Perhaps consider the .300 win Mag for more options or offerings as it is a “main stay” magnum with wide choices of bullet types and ammunition availability or the classic .300 H&H magnum.

If that is the caliber you are looking for, you might take a look at Gunbroker that has a Model 75 in .300 WSM listing.
Perhaps consider the .300 win Mag for more options or offerings as it is a “main stay” magnum with wide choices of bullet types and ammunition availability or the classic .300 H&H magnum.

Thanks so much for your advice. I really like the shorter receiver and bolt in the WSM, so I'm trying to find one, but I realize I may have to compromise. I did see that listing on gunbroker. Do you know if there is much difference between the 75 and 85?

The 75 still has a connection to the "good old days" of rifle quality and has a fine record of performance. If I were a guy in my 20s or 30s now, I would be collecting those.

The 75 still has a connection to the "good old days" of rifle quality and has a fine record of performance. If I were a guy in my 20s or 30s now, I would be collecting those.
Could you elaborate a bit? I know rather little about the 75 and 85 other than the obvious advantages of the three-lug action, and I'd like to hear more.

Generally get a good fit and feel when I shoulder them. (75)I think it is more in the liking of overall fit finish and feel rather than wood and mechanics. Price differential is a big deal, also.

Do you know the status of the model 85? I have been told by one dealer that it is currently not being exported to the US and by another that it has been discontinued. The Sako web site currently features the 85 and no new models.

Do you know the status of the model 85? I have been told by one dealer that it is currently not being exported to the US and by another that it has been discontinued. The Sako web site currently features the 85 and no new models.
If I was interested in an 85 and couldn't get a definitive answer from anyone that should know, I would call Beretta. Sorry I don't have a link for them or a phone number. Google them. attempts to create a decent working relationship with them have failed to the point of " to hell with it".... or at least that's how I feel.

Good luck with getting any information or satisfactory response from the Beretta representatives and I am with Misako50 on this.
If you peruse this site you will find concerns of the 85 action with the ejection of spent cases as they tend to "hang up" at times when used with a rifle scope in some magnum calibers. I have no experience to add to others.
If you ask for an opinion, it would be a pretty safe bet to go with the Model 75 if you are set on the .300 Short Magnum. Get it when you can find it philosophy.

Last edited:
Hello Mr. Mark70,
If you really want a model 85 Sako, there are plenty for sale on Guns International, GunBrokers, Guns.Com & other sites. But you might ask yourself, why there are so many for sale?? My son has a Sako model 75 in S.S . synthetic stock, Cal. 25/06 & is pleased with it. I cannot shed any light on the model 85s as I never had one and I like the older models like Finnbear, Forester, & models AV, As for magnums, I abhor heavy recoil & strive for accurate shot placement. a well placed high shoulder shot disrupts the spinal cord as well as the deer family's front limbs & anchors the animal on the spot!
Just MHO. Good luck in your quest & all the best!! B/T

Latest posts

Back