• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R date?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ibtexex

Hello all,

I'm a long time member and quite frequent reader. I am having trouble sourcing a manufacturer date for an inherited rifle.. Finnbear L61R 30.06 #82110.. Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sako didn't use its serial numbers sequentially, but those between roughly 50,000 and 100,000 were primarily turned out during the "Garcia" period, which would put them in the mid-1970's.

Some in this numerical sequence had the third (rear or "safety") lug just in front of the bolt handle while some did not; others had the cut in the receiver for the third lug but the lug was absent from the bolt; still others had neither the lug nor the cut for it. If the bolt did not have the third lug then it was typically found with an anti-torque pin on the left rear of the bolt.

Thanks for that review Mr stonecreek. Learn something new every day. Yes, the dreaded "anti-torque pin".

Thank you Sir! When able, and if I can figure it out, I will post some pictures. Really appreciate in the information

May I inquire about another L61R in 25.06 #66094. Stamp on bottom of barrel “Garcia Sporting Arms Utah, DC.

The same parameters as with #82110 apply. However, the very first .25-06's chambered came in 1971, so it has to be that late or later. There is record of only a single .25-06 imported by Firearms International.

Thank you Sir! Both appear to be 3-lug, so that is fascinating in itself. Since a kid, I have been enamored with Sako's history (due to my late father). Like others, I wish their bookkeeping was better. Inherited rifles carry a special meaning

Mr. Stonecreek; I have a head-scratcher.. Sako Finnbear "AV" mannlicher in 375 H&H. The "AV" is throwing me off on understanding more. I am unable to find trackable or details..

What say you?

Sako changed the marketing designation of their long action (L61R) to "AIII" in the late 1970's, and shortly thereafter changed the "AIII" to "AV". The only signficant difference in the AIII and AV is the length of the rear action tang. All Sako long actions (L61R, AIII, AV, etc.) were referred to as "Finnbears", although that name was only stamped on the earlier versions.

Bottom line: A Sako AV is the 1980's version of the Finnbear.

Hello;

Since people are talking about the Sako L61R,
I happen to have found and purchased a L61R Action only bright blue high gloss finish new in box with three lug bolt serial # 359xx
Any information about time frame when it was manufactured etc would be most appreciated.

kind Regards
Browtinehunter

Hello;

Since people are talking about the Sako L61R,
I happen to have found and purchased a L61R Action only bright blue high gloss finish new in box with three lug bolt serial # 359xx
Any information about time frame when it was manufactured etc would be most appreciated.

kind Regards
Browtinehunter

Looking at some of my L61R's to provide an idea of when your L61R ser. 359xx Finnbear may have been made, my snap shot of a few rifles are as follows.

Inspected Date - Serial Number
June 1965 - 1368x
February 1966 - 1360x
October 1966 - 257xx
September 1968 - 329xx
? ? - 395xx (have not requested date made)
August 1970 - 44838
December 1971 - 561xx

Using just my rifles to make a guess of when your rifle was produced, maybe in 1968 or 1969. I recommend you follow Paulson's advice for something a lot better than my guess.

Latest posts

Back