• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L579 1968

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

xb40

This L579 heavy barrel 243 is unfired and in excellent condition. The extractor is heavily pitted. No other pitting on the bolt or chamber. Long story short, will any extractor for a medium bolt fit this bolt, or would it have to be for a L597 Forestor?

Your L579 IS a medium action. The L series Sako, IIRC, had long & short extractors depending on when they were made. I'm not sure what extractor was used in 1968, but you should be able to tell by looking. The long extractor is quite long (around an inch) & will be obvious. Pitting shouldn't affect the extractors function. Curious how just the extractor is pitted on an "unfired" rifle.

I have no idea. The is in the box, hang tags, all docks, hang tags on the front swivel show inspected on 3/19/68, type Semitarget, 243. Chamber is spotless. It has been in the box since it was purchased new. Main concern was the chamber, and if the bolt had been installed over that period of time.
But it doesn't appear that is the case. Gunsmith(friend of mine) says some type of fluid had to have caused it. Anyway, I want to replace the piece if I can.

Several companies make a kit for the Remington 700 bolt to rework it to use an extractor like the Sako. These extractors are available from Brownell's and a couple of other places. I bought one to replace a broken extractor and it fit my mid-60's L579 perfectly.

BTW: I think only the short action (L461) ever used the "long" extractor and all L57/579/61R actions used the "short" extractor.

Thanks, I saw the Remington conversions but didn't know if they were sako, or a modification made especially for the for the 700's.

Removed the extractor, not much of a problem. The spring, pin and extractor
were very rusty? They were not operable. Not sure of how this occurred. Disassbled the bolt and checked the firing pin and internals. No rust on any internal bolt parts. Bit of a puzzle. Replacement parts are available at pacific tool and gauge. $21.00. Other vendors want 70.00 for the same parts. Pacific says they are manufactured by Sako medium action, 223, 308. Thanks for the assistance.

Back