• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Action weight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

barreltwister

Does any one here have the exact weight of an L579 action with trigger, mag box etc. as well as bottom metal? In other words, the complete action with the guard screws.
I have a complete rifle but I don't want to take the barrel out to weigh the action.
Reason is, I am considering building another lightweight rifle. I've had many in the past like a short action 700 Titanium that I rebarreled to 7-08AI with a #1 Shilen barrel and put it in a Wildcat stock. It was 6 lbs. 1 oz with a 2.5-8 Leupold in Talley LW's. I've had a few Kimber Montanas also.
The lightest rifle in my safe at present is a Rem 700 in 280AI in a McMillan Edge. It's 7lbs. 4 oz with a 3.5-10 Leupold in Talley LW's.
I want another 6 pounder but I don't want it on a 700 action.
I have a Sako/Browning 243 that I could rob the action from.
So, if the L579 is lighter than a short 700 it will make sense.

The Frank de Haas book Bolt Action Rifles lists the L579 at 40 ounces. It lists the L46 at 32 oz, the L461 at 34 oz, the L57 at 40 oz, and the L61R at 44 oz. I can't say how accurate these listings are, but the de Haas book is generally well researched.

The Frank de Haas book Bolt Action Rifles lists the L579 at 40 ounces. It lists the L46 at 32 oz, the L461 at 34 oz, the L57 at 40 oz, and the L61R at 44 oz. I can't say how accurate these listings are, but the de Haas book is generally well researched.

Thanks for that info SC.

BT, for reference, I built this 260 rifle on an L579 round top action. It was originally a Browning Safari 243 with mild salt wood damage. It has a #3 contour Broughton barrel with 6 flutes finished at 23" and McM Hunter Edge stock . It weighs 7lb 8oz as pictured.

Back