• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Scope mounts for Finnlight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I'm new to Sako. I have a new Finnlight 300 win mag and I'm not sure what mounts will fit. Is the Finnlight a model 75 or 85 or what? Also I have read bad reviews about the Optilocks so does anyone have any other good recommendations? Thanks

Hi Jason - welcome to the forum where you will find many members highly knowledgeable in the arcane mysteries of Sako rifles and all things Sako, particularly the earlier models. I don't qualify as a Sako expert, I just shoot them, but can answer your queries.

There are Model 75 Finnlights and Model 85 Finnlights. Yours being new is probably the later Model 85. There are a number of small differences between them which I won't go into here. I have both in 270 WSM and a 260 in the Model 85. All shoot well though it took a while to learn how to shoot them. Being lightweight rifles they tend to be frisky especially in the larger calibres and we found they also tended to shoot high especially in the field without a good rest. We overcame this with good recoil pads, light trigger settings (our two 85s have set triggers), muzzle brakes (anathema to the purist Sako collector), and a modification of our shooting technique. Basically we found they like to be pulled firmly into the shoulder with a good grip on the forend to control muzzle jump. A sling is useful too.

All my four Sakos have Optilock rings - the 2-piece type on our M995, and the 1-piece ring mounts on the Finnlights. We have never ever had problems with any of the Optilocks and both my son and I have taken a few tumbles in the hills. I have never read or heard of bad reviews of them. I did, however, have problems with misaligned dovetails on the action of both Model 85 Finnlights, and I suggest you check yours before mounting a scope.
See my thread on this forum.
http://sakocollectors.com/forum/thr...unt-dovetails-on-new-sako-85-finnlights.8491/

If they are misaligned, as mine were, it is only a problem with the the 1-piece ring mounts, not the 2-piece which can be shimmed easily as described in the post.

Incidentally we have the 1" lo mount Optilock Ring Mounts on all our Finnlights with either Zeiss 3.5-10x44 or Swarovski 4-12x50BT scopes. The Swarovski's 50 mm objective just clears the barrel but I had to take a small notch out of the scope front cover to get the cover to fit. I particularly like the spherical inserts of the Optilocks which means you don't have to lap the rings as the inserts line up automatically.

Hope this helps, enjoy your Finnlight - David

The only problem with the strong Optilocks is that they are both very heavy (which seems to defeat the purpose of having a "Finnlight"), and also rather tall. If you are using a scope with an objective lens diameter of ~42mm or less then you might want to look at other options. The Leupold ringmounts are about the lightest and simplest, but there are a number of good mounts for the Sako Tapered Dovetails.

The only problem with the strong Optilocks is that they are both very heavy

Stonecreek, I would agree that the Optilocks with two piece bases are somewhat bulky but the one-piece Ringmounts are pretty compact and light. Both, being machined from steel, are stronger but not as light as alloy ones. For Jason's and other's benefit I attach Sako's data sheets which show the difference as well as the various sizes. I have also included the Quickmount rings, though I have no experience of these - David

Attachments

• SAKO OPTILOCK Ring mounts.pdf
    140.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Optilockring.pdf
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Optilockquickmount.pdf
    66.5 KB · Views: 17
I hope I didn't get in over my head with this gun!

Don't worry Jason, I am sure you will enjoy your new acquisition. I was just pointing out that, generally speaking, the lighter the gun and the bigger the bang (calibre) the harder it is to shoot, especially in the field. Our M995 with its heavy barrel and 6.5 cal is easy to shoot and tolerant of various shooting styles which led to complacency. But as my son and I quickly found the 270 WSM Finnlights soon exposed the deficiencies in our shooting technique, which was not a bad thing, as we now shoot all our rifles much better. David

You'll be fine Jason. A couple ounces here or there aren't going to hurt a thing. I seen talley, leupold and opti locks. I prefer the opti locks. The finnlights aren't ultra light by any stretch of the imagination. Use extra low on anything less than 50mm in the 2 piece. I recently bought the one piece and really like them. They were "Lows" and very similar to the extra low 2 piece. They don't come in Stainless though. You're gonna love that rifle.

They don't come in Stainless though.

d500Inn, check out the Sako Optilock Ringmount fact sheet I posted above. The one-piece mounts are certainly available in stainless - I have a set on my 260. But maybe they are not available in the States, A poster on another thread commented that he had never seen them. Maybe the new Sako bases are different. David

d500Inn, check out the Sako Optilock Ringmount fact sheet I posted above. The one-piece mounts are certainly available in stainless - I have a set on my 260. But maybe they are not available in the States, A poster on another thread commented that he had never seen them. Maybe the new Sako bases are different. David

David, I think you are correct. Now that you say that my buddy who works for beretta USA said only blue is imported here! For whatever reason? I'd much rather have the stainless. Oh well. It's all good and it set up. The bases haven't changed in many years.

I'm new to Sako. I have a new Finnlight 300 win mag and I'm not sure what mounts will fit. Is the Finnlight a model 75 or 85 or what? Also I have read bad reviews about the Optilocks so does anyone have any other good recommendations? Thanks
I just had a Leupold VX-6HD scope mounted by a gunsmith on a new Sako 85 Finnlight II. There was no issues with mounting the scope with the OPTILOCK base and Rings. Only problem I had was following the Sako chart for ring height, the Low Rings should have fit per the chart but the scope was barley touching the barrel. So I had to purchase Medium Rings and they are not cheap.

FYI, I have an 85 Finnlight in need of a mount. I’m saving for some Near Manufacturing mounts. Never used them myself, but have read good things. Take it for what it’s worth from a newby with no experience!

Latest posts

Back