• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Mannlicher .308

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

plattski

I'm a new guy here and have become attracted to Sako rifles from my interest in FN Brownings. In particular I admire the Mannlicher stocked Sakos and wonder what models came in that configuration, and specifically which ones are available in .308? Any suggestions on a good source of published information on Sako rifles? Finally, what sort of prices are Mannlicher .308 rifles fetching these days, in particular for a rifle in a condtion suitable for use in the field (i.e. not a beautiful collector gun)? Thanks for your help.

The full stock Sakos came in the early days (pre-60's) in full "rifle" length barrels of around 23 inches. Later models were "carbine" length barrels of around 20 inches.

The short and medium actions L46/461 and L57/579 (".222" and ".308", respectively) can be found in both barrel lengths. I've never seen an L61R (.30-06 length) action in anything other than the shorter barrel. Mannlichers were made as late as the A-series (A-I, A-II, A-III, and A-V), but I don't think any were made after the switch to the S-series or Model 75. That makes the youngest Mannlicher about two dozen years old.

.308 is probably the most sought-after caliber in Mannlicher, presumably because of the shorter action/lighter gun weight and cartridge being better adapted to a shorter barrel. I have a new, unfired .30-06 Mannlicher (A-III) and I know that I'd trade it in a heartbeat and give some boot for the same in a .308.

They were also produced in some of the long magnum calibers like .300 WM and .375 H&H.; I find such short barrels out of place on a magnum and wouldn't have much use for them.

Generally, I'd say that a Mannlicher (which was only made in "standard" grade) is worth about 10%-20% premium over a regular half-stock rifle, depending on caliber.

I should add: The stock finish on the older L-series guns was usually glossy lacquer, while the stocks on the later A-series were all oil finished. Some of the older stocks were one piece, while later stocks used a barrel band about eight inches rearward of the muzzle where the two-piece stock joined. Mannlichers always (to my knowledge) had front sights. Earlier ones had no rear open sight on the barrel but typically came with the Sako dovetail rear aperture sight. Later models came with an open rear sight mounted on the barrel.

I've got one of the later model mannlichers in .308 with a left-handed action. Wonderful rifle!

I would value a full-stock Sako in .308 in "hunting condition" in the $900-$1100 range, depending on the accessories (box, manual, rings, etc) you have with the gun, and on what "hunting condition" actually translates to!

handed action. Wonderful rifle!I would value a full-stock Sako in .308 in "hunting condition" in the $900-$1100 range said:
I've got one of the later model mannlichers in .308 with a left
Questions: Does it have oil finish,recoil pad, crossbolt???

Gents,

The .308 Carbines are getting more rare and prices are going up. I purchased this one a few months ago and have several photo's. Outside of a couple of minor handling marks in the wood the rifle could be unfired. That and the front sight hood is missing (not uncommon).

We really need a carbine category in the forum. Ahem!!!

Wes

Just fixed a subcategory for you shorties!!
face-wink.png

Enjoy!
face-smile.png

Jim

weshowe

I have the same rifle in the same caliber. I bought it while I was in Germany in 1986ish... The one bad thing that happen to mine is the screw that holds the rear site was broken flush with the barrel. Now I did add a scope and took the front hood off. Its a great hunter and it will never be a collectors item so if you feel you have a collectors item I still have the front hood to give away. drop a line here if you want it.
PS what is your serial number mine is 3501XX

Rookie,

I'll take that front sight hood! You need to get something for it...

One of the reasons I want a hood is to look into the posibbility of reproducing some for the guys that lost theirs...not sure how feasible that is, but would like to check into it.

Wes

I'll send my serial number in the morn. It's Oh, dark thirty right now...sleep apnea...it sucks.

Gents,

The serial number on my Sako Carbine is: 350128.

Wow, looks like they may have rolled off the line on the same day!

I'd love the front sight hood, but you need to get something for it...

Can't seem to find contact data for you...I'm here in Salem, OR

503-391-6847
[email protected]

All the best,

Wes

Hey Wes,
Once your done getting specs off the sight hood I'd love give it a new home. Just let me know, I'm only an hour away up in Vancouver.
Regards, Will

Alton,

The front sight hood arrived yesterday afternoon. Wow, it's a beaut and will look great on my Carbine. These appear to be stamped. After I get out of the hospital I'm going to try and get some dimensions, etc., to see if these are reproduceable. If so, we may be able to get the folks without front sight hoods a replacement! Time will tell.

There is a little something headed your way in the mail along with my big THANKS!

Semper Fi,

Wes

Gents,

Forgot to say that when Alton and I checked our serial numbers on the AII's they were only FIVE numbers apart. Probably means they were on the same rack together at the factory...

Really a small world...of Sako lovers.

Wes

Wes

I am glad you like it. Now the hood has a place of prominence instead of being
hidden inside my gun cabinet. Good luck
with the reproduction.

Alton,

Hope my letter reached you and your are pleased with the contents. Let me know.

I'm in the hospital now awaiting knee surgery #6. Surgery #5 was Friday to take tissue samples and test for infection from previous failed surgery and infection. They also removed and degenerated tissue and prep'd the site for Tuesday's repair surgery.

Let me know if you want to let go of the original Sako 1" rings. We can dicker on price, condition, etc. later.

More later.

Wes

Gents,

I posted a new thread on the full stock/mannlicher "short barreled" Sako category.

Upshot is that I'd like to find some more of these for our members or try producing them in my modest shop.

Take a look and let me know if you want to get on board with the project...

Wes

Latest posts

Back