• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Doc Ross

Just got my first Sako - in parts. AV long receiver with no bolt and a 23" 300 Win Mag barrel. It is Ser # 592613 and is all in good condition. I am a retired Police Chief and former detective Sgt./ Deputy ME. I would like to know the mfg date of this rifle and where I might find a complete bolt and some other small parts. God Bless you all!

Your rifle is outside of the serial number range our club has factory records for & as Sako did not build rifles in sequential order with serial numbers it is impossible to determine "exactly" when your rifle was made. What records are available from general Sako records & hang tags tell us that Model AV #589401 was made at the start of the conversion to CNC machining on May 22, 1985 & that # 620849 was made on April 28, 1989. So, I would guess your rifle was made in the late 80's. Anything more specific would be pure conjecture without valid documentation. Not having the bolt is a difficult hurdle to overcome, as they seldom come up for sale. Aftermarket stocks can be obtained & sometimes an original Sako stock will pop up for sale. Parts in general are almost non-existant unless you find someone "parting out" a rifle. You picked a difficult "first" Sako. I wish you luck!

Your rifle is outside of the serial number range our club has factory records for & as Sako did not build rifles in sequential order with serial numbers it is impossible to determine "exactly" when your rifle was made. What records are available from general Sako records & hang tags tell us that Model AV #589401 was made at the start of the conversion to CNC machining on May 22, 1985 & that # 620849 was made on April 28, 1989. So, I would guess your rifle was made in the late 80's. Anything more specific would be pure conjecture without valid documentation. Not having the bolt is a difficult hurdle to overcome, as they seldom come up for sale. Aftermarket stocks can be obtained & sometimes an original Sako stock will pop up for sale. Parts in general are almost non-existant unless you find someone "parting out" a rifle. You picked a difficult "first" Sako. I wish you luck!
Thank you for the info - very helpful. Got the Sako at an auction so knew I was taking a chance but did not know parts would be so scarce, which supports the reputation of the quality of these rifles. Guess I'll hunt for parts for awhile and if not successful will try selling my receiver and barrel and start over! Thanks again Paulsonconstruction!!!

Latest posts

Back