• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

7MM RM Elk Load?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I’m taking my L61R 7MM RM on a backcountry elk hunt this October and need to work up a load for it. I’m new to reloading and will need to buy all my components, so try and zero in on a couple of combinations to get started I thought I would see if anyone had an elk load already worked their L61R enjoyed? I was planning to start with 160 gr Nosler Partitions and the Nosler’s load recommendations for it. It appears the L61R’s 1:9.6 twist rate is a little slow to accurately stabilize the 175 gr partitions per the reading I’ve been doing. If anyone’s experience says otherwise I would be interested to hear it. While longer shots are always possible, our hunting will primarily consist of working through wooded mountainsides and calling, normally resulting in shots of < 100 yds seventy five percent of the time per my outfitter. Thanks in advance for any input!

A 160 Partition is an excellent elk bullet. If your rifle shoots it well then go with it. I've taken a couple of elk with a 140 Partition in a .264.

Don't be hoodwinked by the current fashion of blaming accuracy problems on twist rate. Your Sako will fully and adequately stabilize a 175 grain Partition. That doesn't guarantee that it will shoot it as well as some other bullet, but it might be the most accurate of all in your rifle. You'll have to load and shoot to find out. The heavier bullet is not necessary for elk, but if you want to use it, fine.

Thanks Stonecreek. Good to know about the 175 gr’s. I’ll plan to start with the 160 Partitions and then move up or down if necessary. I may buy a few Accubond’s to try too. I’ve had good success with them out of my .270 on Texas Whitetail and have been reading some favorable reviews for use on elk as well. I’ll circle back in a few weeks and let you know what I came up with. Thanks again for the input.

Nothing wrong with the Accubonds for elk, either. The last two I've taken were with Accubonds -- a .30 caliber 180 grain and a .30 caliber 190 grain, and both were one-shot kills.

Nothing wrong with the Accubonds for elk, either. The last two I've taken were with Accubonds -- a .30 caliber 180 grain and a .30 caliber 190 grain, and both were one-shot kills.

Stonecreek: I am a big fan of the 160 Partition. I've used them pretty exclusively for most of my hunting Elk and even wild pig (feral). They have performed very well. the performance I have experienced with Nosler 160's has driven me to use it on wild pigs as well because they are tough hombres.

I have a new .270 and I plan on working up some loads, so I plan on going with the 140 gr & 150 gr partitions. In addition, I plan on trying the same combo with the Nosler Accubonds based on positive feed back. The powder I will start with will be IMR 4350 and H4831SC. Do you have any suggestions ? Thanks for your input and advice. HBHUNTER.

The powder I will start with will be IMR 4350 and H4831SC. Do you have any suggestions ?
Either of these powders have the potential to work well for you, but with heavier bullets in the .270 I have had excellent luck with IMR 7828 SSC (this is the short cut version which meters fairly well and sits compactly in the case, allowing a bit more powder without compressing.)

Either of these powders have the potential to work well for you, but with heavier bullets in the .270 I have had excellent luck with IMR 7828 SSC (this is the short cut version which meters fairly well and sits compactly in the case, allowing a bit more powder without compressing.)
Stonecreek, thanks for your reply I will try the IMR 7828 ssc. I have to get my scope purchased and mount it b4 I start some loads for working up in the rifle. I need to get a chrono as well. So as it's apparent I have a lot of work ahead of me and I appreciate the knowledge and experience of members like yourself that can make the most of my time in these efforts. Thanks HBHUNTER

I was posed with the same mission about a year ago for a friend going on his first Elk Hunt. He used his Ruger 77 Tang safety rifle but in 7mm Remington Magnum. We settled on the Nosler 160 Accubond, not the long range version, ahead of 64 grains of H4831. Good velocity and accuracy. I would love to give a penetration and performance report but the Elk were unable to find him.
I'm comfortable the load would have performed well and any reasonable range.
Good Luck,
Rick

I was posed with the same mission about a year ago for a friend going on his first Elk Hunt. He used his Ruger 77 Tang safety rifle but in 7mm Remington Magnum. We settled on the Nosler 160 Accubond, not the long range version, ahead of 64 grains of H4831. Good velocity and accuracy. I would love to give a penetration and performance report but the Elk were unable to find him.
I'm comfortable the load would have performed well and any reasonable range.
Good Luck,
Rick
Rick, I've had pretty good experience with my .280 and I believe I can contribute that to several factors 1) confidence in the performance of the bullet, load, accuracy 2) the comfort and fit for the rifle and me. The more I shoot and enjoy it the more I can improve and understand my limits for the game I am pursuing. I've had some friends that had several rifles and fairly heavy calibers and I've seem some 130 yard misses that you can't re-do especially on elk hunts because you may not get another shot until next season. I'm try to get over the miss on cow elk with my muzzleloader. It has made me humble. I love the work that goes into the sport and I am trying to improve as I continue. Thanks for your advice. HBHUNTER

Back