• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hey guys. New to Sako and just picked up a mint L61R Left hand rifle. Made in Finland with the what I assume to be Fin symbol after serial number. Trying to find out info on Gun but can't locate serial # in any lists. LH822333 IMG_20180713_092346.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_164830.jpg
    IMG_20180712_164830.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 9
You have an AV Sako action, which is the L61R with a bolt shroud & a longer tang. It's from very late in the production which ended in 1992 when the L691 action was introduced. The LH serial numbering in the 800,000's started in 1991 according to the sketchy data available. It has the "Hunter" style stock. The forend tip & grip cap would make it the "Classic" model, IIRC. Others here will hopefully correct me if my memory has failed me or fill in more details. It's one of the last of the L61R based rifles Sako made. VERY NICE!!! The "symbol" after the SN is a proof mark. You won't find the serial number listed as, to date, we have been unable to locate the factory records from that time frame. Welcome to the club!

You have an AV Sako action, which is the L61R with a bolt shroud & a longer tang. It's from very late in the production which ended in 1992 when the L691 action was introduced. The LH serial numbering in the 800,000's started in 1991 according to the sketchy data available. It has the "Hunter" style stock. The forend tip & grip cap would make it the "Classic" model, IIRC. Others here will hopefully correct me if my memory has failed me or fill in more details. It's one of the last of the L61R based rifles Sako made. VERY NICE!!! The "symbol" after the SN is a proof mark. You won't find the serial number listed as, to date, we have been unable to locate the factory records from that time frame. Welcome to the club!
Thank you I appreciate the info and fast response. It seems these guns are very hard with tracking down info. What do you think they value at or this model at least. I got it for what I believe is a fair price but just curious as to value.

Value is very subjective & influenced by a host of factors. None of these rifles we have a passion for have a value that is going to make a difference in your retirement, so why not just be happy to have it & enjoy it. What you paid for it is not going to matter to you in the future unless you are strictly in it to turn a profit. If you feel you got it at a fair price & the seller was willing to sell it for that, I think the two of you have established it's market value. There is a wealth of info here you can peruse to get a better understanding of your rifle & it's "value". Just look in the forum section on Sako long actions, specifically the AV.

A short comment on "fair market price": Left hand bolt rifles are a bit scarce, but the demand for them is also limited. A guy who wants a lefty rifle, particularly if it is in a caliber he wants and in nice condition, may be willing to pay a premium for it. But LH rifles are also slow sellers, so the longer a seller has to hold it the more willing he is to lower the price. These two factors push the price in opposite directions, so it is doubly difficult to predict what a "fair" price is for a LH rifle, and the "beta" (wide swings in selling prices) tends to be rather large for them.

Wish I could be of more help.

Latest posts

Back