• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

P94 Two "new to me" Sako Finnfires FTW

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Timothy Yates

I'm a sucker for a good deal. I bought a Finnfire Range for $258 cheaper than my first one; and I didn't think I overpaid for the first one. And picked up a Finnfire Hunter for $480, "yeah, I know, I stole it". Between yesterday and today, I finally got to shoot these two.

Both were shot off a bipod and rabbit ear rear bag. The Range model was business as usual at shooting and while the Hunter model was too, I did have two FTE where the case was flipped around but didn't clear. This was out of 350 rounds. I have three 10 round mags, all are factory mags but two give me trouble when loaded with 10 rounds with some types of ammo. 5 rounds feeds flawless in all three mags. I normally have bench photos of the rifles but this time I just didn't think about it. Accuracy wise I am extremely happy with both new additions. The Hunter model still needs to prove itself but for now it's one if not the most accurate sporter model I have; that would include a Kimber "KoO" 82, three CZ 452's, two Tikka T1x, two Sako M78, Win 52B repo and the King Anschutz 1712 Silhouette. One thing that is extremely different about the Hunter is its chamber. It is so tight that I have to literally jerk the bolt back to extract the empty case. Feeding from the mag is fine. I did start with a clean barrel and chamber with no carbon ring, verified with my borescope. Anyway, here they are and how they shot.

0815192348b.jpg
Although I did have two bad shots that could have been me this overall target is one of the best I have shot. I didn't get a 10 for 10 (ten 5-shot groups at 1/2" or less) but all groups were very tight. I did adjust the scope too.

Sako Hunter Lapua Pistol King 8-17-19.jpg

I got lucky on a few cases of this lot number of CCI SV. At only $2 a box it shoots like $12 in most guns I have.

Sako Hunter CCI SV 8-17-19.jpg

Sako Hunter RWS R50 sc 8-17-19.jpg

The Fed GM Match was a little disappointing for me. So bad that I stopped after 25 shot and Aguila SV on the last 5 bullseyes. This was also my last target for the day and fatigue may have been setting in.

Sako Hunter Fed GM Match 8-17-19.jpg

0813191918.jpg

You can believe me if you want too and if not that's fine too. But there are 5 shot in the center of that last bullseye. I have only done that one other time.

Sako Range #2 Lapua Pistol King 8-16-19.jpg

This is Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match.

Sako Range #2 FED GM Ultra Match 8-16-19.jpg

CCI SV same Lot Number as shot in the Hunter above.

Sako Range #2 CCI SV 8-16-19.jpg

Eley Edge, this stuff gave my problems feeding. It also has a flat tip, not round.

Sako Range #2 Eley Edge 8-16-19.jpg

RWS R50 sc also gave some problems feeding.

Sako Range #2 RWS R50 sc 8-16-19.jpg

Eley Tenex Pistol, very disappointing.

Sako Range #2 Eley Tenex Pistol 8-16-19.jpg

Well that's it. I am getting low on a diverse ammo selection. I have no Wolf or SK at the moment.

That was a lot of pie to eat first.:) By the way, I find that those 9" paper plates make an excellent target for checking my muzzleloader before muzzleloader season. The white plates are easy to see with open sights and if you can consistently hit it (at whatever yardage), then you are certainly good on deer at that distance.

The Sako rimfires are obviously capable of shooting with the best of them. In Texas it is legal to shoot quail with a rifle. We had a tremendous quail crop two years ago and I bagged near my limit by picking them off one by one under a deer feeder 100 yards from the blind. I was using my P94 sporter and subsonic ammunition. Once I figured out the proper holdover the P94 hardly missed.

Thanks Rick for the kind words.

stonecreek, I bet that was a fun time shooting such a small target at that distance with the excitement of a moving target. I have never eaten a wild bird, I hear quail are good eating.

Excellent, informative post. Looks like the Lapua ammo performed very well, no surprise there. What distance were you shooting? I didn't see a specific number in the post; maybe I missed it.

Regarding Lapua ammo, I was at my local range a couple of days ago and I got in a conversation with a guy who was shooting an Anschutz .22 target rifle at 50 yards. Somebody gave him a handful of Lapua ammo, which he had never heard of before. He fired four targets with the Lapua and got groups noticeably smaller than the other ammo he had been using. I briefed him on Lapua ammo and its reputation for quality.

I think I may keep my eyes open for a P94. I sold my model 78 years ago and always kind of regretted it.

Thanks icebear. Ever since I bought the Tikka T1x's and laid hands on my first M78 I have become a Sako fan for life. The T1x is very close in bolt/receiver operation and design to the P94S. For me, the Lapua Pistol King does as good or better than Center-X. Brownells ran a sell for several months on the Pistol King for $7.79/box. When they would have their 10% off plus free shipping I would buy a brick or 10.

I forgot to add, the distance was 55 yards.

Back