• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New to site, but not new to Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Value to the eyes or value with dollar signs? Ditch the grips and I'd say it looks great like it is. If it functions great and shoots great, "I think to myself, this has been through the worst of times and still keeps on ticking". If you want to put it in a velvet lined wooden box get it blued. An older Winchester was mentioned in this thread, if an 1893 lever gun ever got reblued that would be a shame. If it is solid rust and junk go for it.

I disagree with Sean on this one. If a rifle is shooter grade rather than collector grade & the bluing is worn & it shows signs of rust pitting & the stock is dinged & dented & the finish is worn off in spots, how does rebluing & refinishing diminish value???? Seems to me it would be worth more. It's obvious, that a collector grade rifle in nice condition is not one that should be redone, but the "reduced" value analogy doesn't apply to shooter grade rifles, IMHO. Shooter rifles are NOT collector rifles & the same rules do NOT apply with regard to alterations or refinishing. In fact, even a collector gun, in bad shape, that is very rare can be refinished(if professionally & skillfully done) and actually have it's value enhanced. If you feel the need to "spruce up" either of your rifles the effect on their value would be irrelevant. Neither of your rifles is going to make a difference in your retirement, so just enjoy the fact that the were handed down to you from your father, that they are great rifles, you can enjoy using them, & quit worrying about "what they are worth". Seems to me you would want to keep them in good shape rather than let them deteriorate just for the sake of some abstract idea of "maintaining their value". In fact, I'd take them out of those ugly McMillan stocks if they were mine & use the original stocks. It's just no fun to hunt with an ugly rifle. Just my two cents. Other opinions may vary.
Very good point. But like I said earlier. I didn't put the Mcmillians on the rifles to spruce them up and make them look better. Who in there right mind would think Black fiberglass looks better than those beautiful blond European walnut factory stocks. I put them on for two reasons. The biggest is for performance reliability. I don't know where you live. But Hear on Kodiak Island the Barometric Pressure and weather changes rapidly by several points on the Barometer here. Sometimes by several millibars in a couple hours. I don't know how much experience you have with hunting in coastal humid cold to warm, warm to cold environments but it dose cause the wood to swell and contract changing torque on lead mounting screws and affecting FF. I'm not a collecter I'm an avid huter in rural Alaska. I have approxamatly ten rifles I use for differant things and have killed every big game species Alaska has to offer with the exception of musk ox. How many Dall Sheep hunts have you been on or Mt Goat hunts, sliding and crawling on loose shale slopes scaring and splintering your rifle stock? I don't know hardly any serious Alaskan hunters that use Rifles with wood Stocks. My Finnbears are tools not wall hangers. When I do get to old to hunt and do hang them on the wall and retire them. I will have those beautiful stocks to put back on them. And I'm sure as hell!!! Not worried about there value. Like I said before. I'll never sell them! The word was curious. As far as restoration goes. I asked that question regarding all my firearms not just because I want to increase the value of my Sakos or make them look pretty. There as beautiful to me today as the day I saw them being fired by my dad as a little kid regardless of the upgraded stocks glass or any other changes I've made. My ol man didn't hunt nearly as hard as I do. Thanks for the Info and good day...

The etching on the bolt is the last three digits of the serial number on the action. It's placed there after the chamber has been reamed to the proper headspace with THAT bolt. That bolt stays with the barreled action through the rest of production process. Both bolts are NOT the same. Your 30-06 bolt has the .473" bolt face diameter, while your 338 has the larger magnum bolt face diameter.
I definitely understand they are not the same with different face diameters and definitely not interchangeable. I just thought they were the same design until the third locking lug on the .338 was pointed out. Thanks though...

You asked for opinion & input, so I offered mine with the caveat that it was just my two cents & other opinions may vary. It was offered in a helpful way & there is no requirement that you accept or reject it. Best of luck on your hunt! BTW, I still think it's more fun to hunt with a pretty rifle!!

Very good point. But like I said earlier. I didn't put the Mcmillians on the rifles to spruce them up and make them look better. Who in there right mind would think Black fiberglass looks better than those beautiful blond European walnut factory stocks. I put them on for two reasons. The biggest is for performance reliability. I don't know where you live. But Hear on Kodiak Island the Barometric Pressure and weather changes rapidly by several points on the Barometer here. Sometimes by several millibars in a couple hours. I don't know how much experience you have with hunting in coastal humid cold to warm, warm to cold environments but it dose cause the wood to swell and contract changing torque on lead mounting screws and affecting FF. I'm not a collecter I'm an avid huter in rural Alaska. I have approxamatly ten rifles I use for differant things and have killed every big game species Alaska has to offer with the exception of musk ox. How many Dall Sheep hunts have you been on or Mt Goat hunts, sliding and crawling on loose shale slopes scaring and splintering your rifle stock? I don't know hardly any serious Alaskan hunters that use Rifles with wood Stocks. My Finnbears are tools not wall hangers. When I do get to old to hunt and do hang them on the wall and retire them. I will have those beautiful stocks to put back on them. And I'm sure as hell!!! Not worried about there value. Like I said before. I'll never sell them! The word was curious. As far as restoration goes. I asked that question regarding all my firearms not just because I want to increase the value of my Sakos or make them look pretty. There as beautiful to me today as the day I saw them being fired by my dad as a little kid regardless of the upgraded stocks glass or any other changes I've made. My ol man didn't hunt nearly as hard as I do. Thanks for the Info and good day...
And after reading your latest reply to my restoration question. I probably will have the 06 reblued when I retire it. Thanks again for or your input...

You asked for opinion & input, so I offered mine with the caveat that it was just my two cents & other opinions may vary. It was offered in a helpful way & there is no requirement that you accept or reject it. Best of luck on your hunt!
Your absolutely right. Didn't mean to come of defensively or offensively. I apologize if I did. I really do appreciate your advice and or opinion. I hope we are starting to understand each other...

Your absolutely right. Didn't mean to come of defensively or offensively. I apologize if I did. I really do appreciate your advice and or opinion. I hope we are starting to understand each other...
The biggest reason I was curious about there value is because when people see them and recognize what make Rifles they are and there age, they practically get on there knees with worship asking what they are worth in value and I never had a good answer other than " I dont know as far as market value but they are priceless to me"...

Now that the question of rebluing and its relationship to value has been raised, I'm going to momentarily hijack this thread and ask a tangentally related question: I picked up this late military Luger at an estate sale a short time back for a fairly nominal price. It is a military byf (Mauser) 42 which is mechanically in excellent condition, but the finish, as you can see, is terrible. My question is, is it more valuable with a quality reblue (and replacing the butt-ugly grips), or is it better left alone? It has only one non-matching serial number on the take-down button and the magazine is correct for this "Black Widow" model.

View attachment 16985

The only two cents have about your Luger is regardless what you decide to to with, it. That thing is bad ass!!! The grips are a little ugly though. But heck you can have any type of grip you want made. I did for my S&W 629 classic...

Latest posts

Back