• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Riihimaki .222 Rem Info?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

That establishes the provenance of the custom Sako, and creates a likely narrative for the two guns. Rhein-Main AFB is near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. The Sako and the Krico were likely both the property of one service member, who purchased the Sako as a barreled action at the Rhein-Main Rod & Gun Club and had it built into a custom rifle by a gunsmith in or near Frankfurt. He purchased the Krico at Waffen-Bock, also in Frankfurt. It is highly likely that the Sako is marked somewhere by the gunsmith who did the custom work. I'd suggest going over the rifle carefully to look for the name of a smith or shop in Germany or for any unusual marking that might be the logo of a custom builder. The builder's identification could also be hidden. Some custom builders and stockmakers sign their work in the barrel channel, and the metal could also be stamped in a hidden place.

Thanks Ice. I'll try to give them both a deeper inspection as soon as things settle down a little bit for me. (Things are a bit hectic for me at the moment).
Supposing I could find out anything about the custom work or the builder, what would that accomplish other than to satisfy our curiosity? I like a good investigation but am wondering if there is an end game or if it's a matter of "the real fun is in the chase" kind of thing.

Thanks Ice. I'll try to give them both a deeper inspection as soon as things settle down a little bit for me. (Things are a bit hectic for me at the moment).
Supposing I could find out anything about the custom work or the builder, what would that accomplish other than to satisfy our curiosity? I like a good investigation but am wondering if there is an end game or if it's a matter of "the real fun is in the chase" kind of thing.
An interesting philosophical question. I'd say it's a little of both. I do find it interesting to do the research to learn more about my guns or other hobbies. I enjoy knowledge for its own sake. (I'm retired; I teach a college seminar pretty much "just for fun.") At the same time, sometimes you find out some really interesting things that may (or may not) enhance the value of a gun. In checking out the builder of a custom gun I have, I learned that the builder, Robert Schräder of Göttingen was known for innovative design in the pre-WWI era and held many patents. Does this enhance the value of my over/under side-hammer combination gun? Maybe, in that it makes it more interesting as a piece of history. Historical and technical knowledge has also helped me find some very valuable Finnish military rifles that sat unrecognized on "for sale" racks. I once picked an ugly and apparently undistinguished Mosin Nagant off the bargain rack at a local gun shop. Only ten like it are known to exist, and it's worth a multiple of what I paid for it. Now, that isn't likely to happen with your Sako, but I think the knowledge of its origin enhances the pleasure of ownership.

Here's the maker's mark on another German custom rifle, this one a Mauser built in 1961 by H.Kreher of Wiesbaden.
JPS H.Kreher.JPG

JPS 2.JPG

I agree that there is certainly some joy and a sense of accomplishment just in obtaining some new knowledge. I just need to make the time to do the research and that may not happen for a few weeks at this point in my life. Either way, when I do get to it, I'll be sure to fill you in on anything I find out.

There are many things in life more important than a hobby. I'll look forward to seeing what you find out, when you have time.

Latest posts

Back