• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Where are all the Finnwolf Collectors?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I've recently seen pristine Finnwolfs reach the $2,000 mark. Ninety-five percent Finnwolfs are hovering between $1,500 and $2,000. I haven't seen any notable difference in what the rifles with four vs. three-shot magazines bring, nor whether the stock is Monte Carlo, with cheekpiece, or without cheekpiece (although such features may be important to individual buyers but not the market in general.)

SCA Collector sets consisting of one rifle in .243 and the other in .308 seem to be running at just over $5,000 with $5,500 being about tops, although asking prices may well be higher. Single SCA rifles rarely come up and even more rarely actually sell, so there isn't much data on them.

isaw one sold 4800 in states cant find pic but wasnt as nice as tim wilson
And it was not in as good of shape
I think the better wood stocks got too Australia than here lol

It's hard to say whether this example is an outlier without more information on that particular auction, such as whether the scope on the rifle might have been a one-thousand or even fifteen hundred dollar model. I'm not sure what the exchange rate for the CAD might have been at the time of this auction, but I'm guessing about 1.35/1, meaning that the 3700 CAD was equal to about $2750 USD -- still a high price for a regular Finnwolf, unless it had a really high dollar scope. Then there's the buyer's premium on top of that, which certainly appears to place this one well above the typical market price for a Finnwolf. However, as I've noted time and again, prices can vary greatly from country to country and this price may not be out of line for Canada.

It's hard to say whether this example is an outlier without more information on that particular auction, such as whether the scope on the rifle might have been a one-thousand or even fifteen hundred dollar model. I'm not sure what the exchange rate for the CAD might have been at the time of this auction, but I'm guessing about 1.35/1, meaning that the 3700 CAD was equal to about $2750 USD -- still a high price for a regular Finnwolf, unless it had a really high dollar scope. Then there's the buyer's premium on top of that, which certainly appears to place this one well above the typical market price for a Finnwolf. However, as I've noted time and again, prices can vary greatly from country to country and this price may not be out of line for Canada.

Uhhh, you do realize that those are Australian dollars which are equal to $1813 U.S.? Right? Which is, surprisingly, right in the same $1,500-$2,000 range that the Finnwolf is bringing in the U.S. The ad appears to imply that the gun is unfired (although it is not clear from the ad copy). That price would seem a little low for an unfired Finnwolf -- but then I'm sure the Australian market varies from the one I participate in, which is the only one I can speak to.

Uhhh, you do realize that those are Australian dollars which are equal to $1813 U.S.? Right? Which is, surprisingly, right in the same $1,500-$2,000 range that the Finnwolf is bringing in the U.S. The ad appears to imply that the gun is unfired (although it is not clear from the ad copy). That price would seem a little low for an unfired Finnwolf -- but then I'm sure the Australian market varies from the one I participate in, which is the only one I can speak to.

I rang the owner of that rifle and it was fired.
I rang him to find out about the history of the rifle as I own a similar .243 Finnwolf very close in serial number, so close in fact that his rifle is on my page of the factory records. His rifle was sent to Australia whereas mine went to the USA and was purchased/imported into Australia by me 8 or 10 years ago. They're almost 'brothers' but were sent to different ends of the world! Mine has had a hard life and came with the worst corroded bore I've ever seen - but still shot around 1 MOA at 100m with factory ammo (I've recently re-barrelled it) but interestingly it has the smoothest, nicest action and nicest trigger of all the Finnwolfs I've owned (about 9), so obviously the actions improve with use! I've kept the old barrel to show people how bad things can get internally and still shoot OK.

Pricing - there are no assured prices in Aus, the market varies seasonally and with supply & demand, but he was asking the average sort of price you'd expect, and I think it sold for a little less. I'd expect to see genuine very low round fired models in excellent condition in the low to mid $3k's and genuine unfired collector models in high $3k's to $4k depending upon a range of variables. But if something is extra special then it may go higher. Conversely, no buyers, then it'll go cheaper.

Like all markets, it's extremely hard to find old rifles in excellent condition, a lot are over rated by the sellers. But to be fair, there is no standard assessment method or grading system in Australia, so it's up to seller to describe it as they wish, and the buyer to appraise it.

Other Aussies may want to chip in with their Finnwolf price experiences; I know some have bought ridiculously cheap ones, and good luck to them. Whilst others have paid the big bucks for the rare ones.

Cheers
Piper

Last edited:
I rang the owner of that rifle and it was fired.
I rang him to find out about the history of the rifle as I own a similar .243 Finnwolf very close in serial number, so close in fact that his rifle is on my page of the factory records. His rifle was sent to Australia whereas mine went to the USA and was purchased/imported into Australia by me 8 or 10 years ago. They're almost 'brothers' but were sent to different ends of the world! Mine has had a hard life and came with the worst corroded bore I've ever seen - but still shot around 1 MOA at 100m with factory ammo (I've recently re-barrelled it) but interestingly it has the smoothest, nicest action and nicest trigger of all the Finnwolfs I've owned (about 9), so obviously the actions improve with use! I've kept the old barrel to show people how bad things can get internally and still shoot OK.

Pricing - there are no assured prices in Aus, the market varies seasonally and with supply & demand, but he was asking the average sort of price you'd expect, and I think it sold for a little less. I'd expect to see genuine very low round fired models in excellent condition in the low to mid $3k's and genuine unfired collector models in high $3k's to $4k depending upon a range of variables. But if something is extra special then it may go higher. Conversely, no buyers, then it'll go cheaper.

Like all markets, it's extremely hard to find old rifles in excellent condition, a lot are over rated by the sellers. But to be fair, there is no standard assessment method or grading system in Australia, so it's up to seller to describe it as they wish, and the buyer to appraise it.

Other Aussies may want to chip in with their Finnwolf price experiences; I know some have bought ridiculously cheap ones, and good luck to them. Whilst others have paid the big bucks for the rare ones.

Cheers
Piper

Like too see other pics of levers
Nice too see lots still around
I agree the shoot very well
I reload mine

Back