• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako AII Carbine Model Clarification

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

D4Guns

Just had a few questions about a Sako AII in .308 Win we have acquired. I am unsure as to the EXACT model (if possible) of this really sweet rifle. What I have found is that this rifle was manufactured in 1979-1980 and is an AII/L579 Forrester Carbine featuring a deluxe grade stock. This is information I have pieced together from other forums/listings so I am aware that I could be drastically incorrect or somewhere in the right direction.

ANY AND ALL information on this rifle would be incredibly helpful!

Also, I have some good pictures to help but am unsure how to post them, I will try to upload them though.

Attachments

• _1330351.JPG
    _1330351.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 70
  • _1330372.JPG
    _1330372.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 66
  • _1330396.JPG
    _1330396.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 68
Hi D4Guns, Your rifle is an AII as indicated on the reciever, just before your serial number.
The stock is the standard manlicher version, and not a deluxe. Sako did not make any deluxe manlicher rifles to my knowledge. A deluxe would have skip line checkering and engraved floor plate.
Yours looks to be a lovely rifle and in very nice condition.
I have a similar .308 but in the earlier L579 version which has a more rounded forend cross section. It is hands down my favourite hunting rifle of many Sakos in my safes.

Howdy, yours is an early, some say transitional AII, as it still has a knurled bolt knob and the trapezoidal fore end. If you search my user name, I recently bought a late model 'hunter'-stocked AII carbine, eg Red pad, Wundjammer swell pistol grip and oval forend x-section. The bolt knob is the tear-drop style. You can compare the differences. I'm not sure that yours has a factory pad. I believe those had plastic butt plates. Whereas the AV's have waffle pads. Nice carbine however.

That is the standard grade Mannlincher stock. There were no Deluxe grade Mannys. The checkering pattern on the forearm, which some refer to as "Herringbone", hints that it is more likely to have been made in the mid-1980s. Definitely NOT in the late 70's early 80's. The recoil pad doesn't seem quite right either for an AII with that stock style & finish, but with Sako you never know for sure about those kind of things. Pad looks too nice to be 40 years old, as most of those old waffle pads have disintegrated. Could be a Sako reproduction replacement pad. Close up pics including a butt end view would help. Nice rifle, regardless. Thanks for sharing.

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the information, I was kind of lost with the rifle (as you can tell) and really wanted to know it for what it is and not speculation. My next dilemma is whether or not to take this Sako into the field or let her collect dust as a collectible. As I type this out I kick myself as I feel guns should be shot and used as the tools that they were built to be but this Sako is in such good shape I do not want to take the risk of dinging her up. Do these AIIs hold much value, in the long term? I picked this one up for about $600 (not a bad deal in my eyes) but not sure what it will look like 10-20 years down the line. But I also think she would look really nice with a Gold Ring mounted on her and leaned up on the belly of a big bull.

What are your thoughts?

kevinlg, I saw the hood coming off the other day, she won't be going anywhere now.

Also, I will post some more pictures of the butt & stock.

Attachments

• _1330362.JPG
    _1330362.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 33
  • _1330363.JPG
    _1330363.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 33
By all means use it and shoot it. Even if you store it deep in a safe and keep it exactly as it is, its increase in value over the years is unlikely to keep up with inflation. So enjoy it.

The rifle, know matter what , is not going to make a difference in your retirement so why not enjoy it while you can. The mismatched edges between the wood & the recoil pad indicate it is one of the current Sako reproduction pads that the previous owner had installed.

Shoot it. Odds are pretty good that it will be very accurate. I have a similar Mannlicher-style carbine, an AIII in .30-06, that will consistently shoot under 3/4" groups at 100 yards. The short length makes it very handy in the woods or the mountains. They were built to shoot and hunt with. And by the way, $600 was a steal for that rifle. .308 carbines are scarce and in demand. Yours has better than average wood, too.

What a stunner!

Just had a few questions about a Sako AII in .308 Win we have acquired. I am unsure as to the EXACT model (if possible) of this really sweet rifle. What I have found is that this rifle was manufactured in 1979-1980 and is an AII/L579 Forrester Carbine featuring a deluxe grade stock. This is information I have pieced together from other forums/listings so I am aware that I could be drastically incorrect or somewhere in the right direction.

ANY AND ALL information on this rifle would be incredibly helpful!

Also, I have some good pictures to help but am unsure how to post them, I will try to upload them though.

Thank you guys for all of the input and insight, I really appreciate it. I look forward to testing her out in the field, she was hitting steel at 600yrds with the irons last week so I think I will run with the irons next season and see if I can't get something within 100-150yrds and see how she does!

Back