• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Finnbear L61R barrel

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ScarletVee

New here, so not sure if I'm in the right subforum, butttttt...
I recently came into possession of a Sako Finnbear L61R, set in 264 Winchester. It was sitting in a trailer with a busted roof for 15+ years, the stock was trashed, the internals were semi-frozen, etc. I've restored/replaced everything, with the exception of the barrel, which needs to be replaced. I'm having difficulty finding a replacement, and I'm hoping y'all could point me in the right direction
Thanks in advance :)

That rifle was made over 50 years ago, so finding an original factory barrel would be next to impossible unless you became winning the lottery type lucky. Having an aftermarket barrel installed by one of the barrel makers like Pac-Nor, Shilen, Lilja, Hart, Benchmark, etc. etc. etc. would make it functional, but the collector value is zero. If you don't have too much in it already you may want to consider selling it as a Parts gun to recoup your cost. Projects like that are usually money pits with no bottom. Just food for thought.

That rifle was made over 50 years ago, so finding an original factory barrel would be next to impossible unless you became winning the lottery type lucky. Having an aftermarket barrel installed by one of the barrel makers like Pac-Nor, Shilen, Lilja, Hart, Benchmark, etc. etc. etc. would make it functional, but the collector value is zero. If you don't have too much in it already you may want to consider selling it as a Parts gun to recoup your cost. Projects like that are usually money pits with no bottom. Just food for thought.
Thank you, this really helps. I have never sold any gun I've owned, and I don't plan to start, so aftermarket parts are absolutely fine by me :D

The .264 was the first magnum designed from a shortened 300 H&H magnum case. you have options for Sako barrels in other calibers. Currently a few Sako barrels are available online in other calibers. My friend is a Tool and Die maker turned Gun Smith 25 years ago when his job was outsourced to China. He was Nationally ranked competition shooter and was building his own rifles so he just started his own shop, and does work for all the Gun dealers in the area. I currently have 6 rifles in the shop being built for myself and friends. I also restore and refinish firearms through his shop, he does as well. You can take the rust off of metal parts by soaking ( 1 week) in a solution of 1 part Molasses (with Sulfur) and 9 parts water. The rust just washes off at that point. It will start rusting again Immediately if not treated properly.Also you can also use 1 part vinegar to 9 parts distilled water. This takes bluing off and rust but must be timed and monitored as this is acidic. We Start with 10 second dip and work up to longer times with vinegar, ( based in seconds). We stop at 1 minute for this process and we restore fire damage for insurance customers this way. You must wash instantly with soap and water and scrub all parts. Then soak in a cleaning solution. Use bore brushes inside and strong plastics bristle brushes outside. You must then refinish . This sounds simple and is IF you stop the process by proper cleaning and this IS the Important Part. Clean , Clean, Clean and clean the cleaner off. Use a Metal Prep to protect until finishing is done. We use Hold to keep the bare metal from rusting. You can find Hold at gunsmith supply distributors. Rust Starts in 7 seconds so speed is Important.

Sounds like you have some good help or are very resourceful on your own. There are many Quality, Helpful Gun Smiths around in our area (N.W.) and Near you.

If you want to talk with my Gunsmith ( two off them) , send a PM and I will give the numbers.

I would have sent a P.M. but have not figured out how yet.

Bear

I would have sent a P.M. but have not figured out how yet.
Bear
Hold your mouse cursor on "inbox" in the upper right. When the "conversation" box appears just click on "start a conversation". Enter the members name, give it a title, then type your message.

New here, so not sure if I'm in the right subforum, butttttt...
I recently came into possession of a Sako Finnbear L61R, set in 264 Winchester. It was sitting in a trailer with a busted roof for 15+ years, the stock was trashed, the internals were semi-frozen, etc. I've restored/replaced everything, with the exception of the barrel, which needs to be replaced. I'm having difficulty finding a replacement, and I'm hoping y'all could point me in the right direction
Thanks in advance :)
I am pretty sure I have an original 264 barrel in my safe at home that I might be willing to part with. I'm at work now, but will look later. I will Pm you if I do.

I would tend to say that if it is a 264 take off barrel the throat might just be "stretched" a little.

I would tend to say that if it is a 264 take off barrel the throat might just be "stretched" a little.
I’m no gunsmith by any stretch, but it appears to be in good shape. No rust, throat looks fine to my untrained eye, and crown does not show much loss of blueing. And it’s Bofors Steel marked. I think I bought it at a gun show during my younger years, thinking I might use it for a build some day. But that day has never come, lol.

I’m no gunsmith by any stretch, but it appears to be in good shape. No rust, throat looks fine to my untrained eye, and crown does not show much loss of blueing. And it’s Bofors Steel marked. I think I bought it at a gun show during my younger years, thinking I might use it for a build some day. But that day has never come, lol.
If anyone has an idea of a fair asking price for it I would appreciate your input. Thanks

A borescope would be needed for a true representation. As for value, a used barrel is still a used barrel even though it does have Sako stamped on it. Hard to say.

I have been there and done that years ago. I lucked out with my experience and it was an education. I was lucky enough to find a good donor barrel locally that I had minutely inspected by an excellent local gunsmith qualified to do the complete installation and re-blued assembly. My advice is to make certain that you have an excellent gunsmith or forget the project. The most important part of the installation is the proper head space setting to get the original Sako barrel stampings in the proper location in relation to the action. Another point is that not all brands of cartridge case dimensions are identical, so proper head space should be set to the brand you prefer for best results for precision shooting. If you decide to invest in the project, I feel it would be worth while to do the job right. The .264 Win was a much maligned caliber in my personal opinion as I have a friend with one that has more than 1,000 down the tube with no sign of giving up yet. As with any magnum the secret is- do NOT let the barrel get hot while bench rest shooting. Hunting usually is 1 shot or limited to 2 or 3 rapid shots at most which won't heat much. If the barrel that is offered is acceptably I would suggest what ever compromised price set between buyer and seller as determined by your research as to final project costs that you are willing to spend. IMHO the older Sako L61r models in .264 are an excellent candidate for investment as the finished product (if done right) will always be a sought after model and retain their value. Check the auction sites for an idea of present values. You will find that good ones are scarce as hen's teeth and bring a good price. If your project goes well you may never want to part with it because the accuracy of that rifle will amaze you if you take time to find the 'sweet load' with diligent hand loading. Opinions by others may not agree with mine. Sakojim.

Guns International #: 101602512
ScarletVee. The asking price of this decrepit piece of scrap iron should give you some idea of the value of old Sako L61r .264s as supposed by some greedy sellers. Sakojim.

Good evening fellow Sako fans. I just looked on e-Bay (Sako Rifle Parts) and found several barrels and a lot of other parts including stocks. If you need rings,
sight hood, etc. it looks like they may have what you are looking for.. Just sharing Info for those looking for parts.

Hi friends,
Did SWS1213 ever get the 264 barrel to Scarlet Vee ? If so how is the rebuild going ? I like the idea of refurbishing a damaged rifle and giving it new life !! We seem to live in a throw away world, and newer is not always better.
Oh just to have my 1966 Mustang back again !!. Fun car, could reach both my boys in the back seat & stop the arguments while still driving down the road.

Any news on the rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back