• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Member w/ a L61R 338 Win Mag

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Wiggman

I recently purchased a L61R 338 win mag but the serial number on the rifle is far below the generally understood starting number for Sako's old 338 win mags. Specifcially, the serial number is 13644 - which matches the serial number on the bolt. It has "FINNBEAR made in Finland" with what I assume to be import markings on the left side of the barel and "Bofors Steel" on the right side. It also came with an old 2x7 redfield scope, which I'm kinda jazzed about, although I have no intention of using it; rather, I intend to send it off to one of those shops that refurbishes Redfields to see how much it will cost to get it up to snuff. The glass is clear and, magnification works well (a bit fuzzy at when maxed out at close range as all those old scopes were) at I have zero doubt it's been on the rifle since Christ was Corporal. Whomever owned it back in the day carved his hame inside the action along with what appears to be a phone number -albiet with letters as a prefex like it used to be back in the day.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a sense of when this rifle was manfuactured. It has a few minor nicks and scraches on it (to be expected) although the photos I took make it look far more rough that it is. I haven't shot it yet but hope to do so this weekend - with 250 grain 338 ammo in short supply, i'm not going to go crazy with it but want to see if its worth hanging onto. Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

FYI - I know the white lettering isn't original but I'm pretty sure it can be removed easily enough.

Attachments

• 01. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    01. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 02. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    02. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 03. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    03. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 04. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    04. Sako 338 Win Mag.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 49
Looks like you got a good one. The pad looks new(er), could be a factory replacement since those old buttpads tend to collapse and get brittle.

Somebody used one of those gold fill kits on the rifle's markings. It will come off with solvent, but you may have to let the chemical sit in there for a while and use a nylon brush to loosen up the fill material. At least that's what I've done in the past.

You have a classic standard sporter from the mid 1960s in a not too often seen caliber....doesn't get much better ! Congrats. I'm only assuming a 24" bbl, but some of the early rifles had the longer 26" bbl. I'd measure it to see if you have one of those.

congrats on a great rifle and thanks for sharing!
DeerGoose

"Finnbear Made in Finland" is not an import stamp, but merely a factory stamping identifying it as the long action model & where it was made. Your rifle will have no import stamp because it was made prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 that required such a mark. It's was imported by Firearms International. As your serial number is within the range the club has records for you can request it's production & shipping information by clicking on "Factory Records Service" in the upper left of this page. Members volunteer to search the hand written records. The fee goes to help support the website. As Sako did not make rifles in sequential order there isn't much that can be "generally understood" about when any rifle was made without a hang tag or factory documentation. Recoil pad is definitely a replacement. Nice that it has the original Sako ringmounts. Check with Vintage Scopes out of Montana for refurbishing the Redfield. If you can stand the recoil & hunt animals that require such a cartridge, it will make a fine hunting rifle. Welcome!

If the glass is clear and the zoom works, why do you want to get the scope rebuilt? What isn't "up to snuff?" I'd be inclined to leave it where it is.

The fill in the lettering is most likely lacquer stick. It will come out easily with lacquer thinner, but there's no need to unless you just don't like it.

Thank you for all of the valuable information - much appreciated. To be sure, I'm pleased with the rifle and I hope that it serves me well this elk season. I measured the barrel and it's 24.'' The pad is a terrible. Someone did an awful job replacing the original (I assume), but they clearly didn’t know what they were doing. It's actually painted around the edges. Yeah. Painted. I'll take it in and have a limbsaver or something similar put on there. As for the white lettering, I have no intention of removing, although I can't understand why anyone does it. I too agree, however, whomever did the work did it well. Must not have been the same person who worked on the pad.

Regarding my date of manufacture inquiry and statement concerning the "general understanding" of the same, the statement was predicated on the serial numbers I've seen posted in this forum and elsewhere indicating what is believed to be the earliest serial number for a Sako 338 win mag being either around 38k or 57k. I certainly understand that Sako did not number rifles consecutively and that there were changes in numbering at certain points (neither of which is unique to Sako), but the serial number of this rifle is so far below what I believed to be (erroneously it appears) the starting serial number for this caliber rifle, it caused ms some confusion and concern - both of which have been assuaged by the above-included response, so thank you!. As for the recoil, that's not a problem; I have a ruger 338 win mag in the stainless, all weather configuration with the "boat-paddle" stock from about 1994. It is hands down the hardest hitting rifle I've ever fired, but that just comes with the 338. The real problem is it shoots all over the damn place. Ruger had problems with their barrels in the early 1990's and I believe this rifles is one of the problem children. It's being sent in for evaluation this week. Regardless, I don't trust it and I want to have something for this elk season that I can put my faith in. I also own and regularly shoot a 1973 marlin 45-70 and first year remington 7mm mag with the stainless (albeit blued) barrel. So, recoil isn't a concern, although it's always something one must be mindful of when putting holes in paper.

As for the scope, glass has come a looooooon way since 1965 or so and looking through the redfield vs the leupold I have is like night a day. Although I appreciate vintage optics, the advancements in quality and clarity are far too substantial to ignore, especially on a hard hitter like the 338. It's also a 2x7 which in the early to mid 60s was dynamite. Now, not so much, especially on a rifle that could, if necessary, shoot an elk (or whatever) at 500 yards+. Although im in NV, I am from the Northwest and plan hunt elk there this season. I absolutely do not want to spend days scouting and hours humping in the bush only to discover the scope fogs on the inside - which is exactly what will happen in that environment if the seal is broken. If I were going to be strictly target shooting out to 200 yards or leaving it in a safe I would probably keep the scope right where it is. Instead, I’ll put my 1" leupold on it and use the original mounts, which are really, really slick.

My apologies re the length of this post; but I sincerely thank you all for welcoming me to the club and for generously sharing your knowledge.

Wiggman. No need to apologize for a very enjoyable and informative post. As a coincidence, I happen to have a twin to your rifle. It is serial #146x. I have never used it because of its original condition and I prefer the flatter shooting 7mm STW for elk. I previously used a M995 338 Lapua but found the 7mmSTW to be much more economical and quite accurate for the distance that I usually shoot. The 338 Lapua was also much more than needed for medium range hunting. Now moose hunting in griz country would be a different story. My favorite scope is a Leopold VX 111. Good luck. Sakojim.

You're right, if you're going to be hunting in wet country, a newer scope is in order. The older ones weren't as well sealed as they are now, and of course the seals have deteriorated over time. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised by the brightness and clarity of two 3-9x Redfield scopes I recently acquired with Sako rifles. Both are from late US production, before the company went under, and both are as bright and sharp as a Leupold. One is a Widefield "TV screen" model and the other is a conventional 40mm. Both of them are currently on rifles, but I would pick something else for the rain forest. Hope you get an elk with your .338.

Thank you Icebear & sakojim. I see sakojim is in Oregon, which is my old stompin' ground. I'll be back there hunting the trask unit this season so if you're huting Roosevelt west of cascades, well, I hope you get one but only after me (kidding). As for the 338 Lapua, I know people love them for distance competitions but strictly as far as hunting is concerned, and unless I'm shooting animals out there at 700 yards+(which for me personally is too far), it isn't for me. I'd have to do some more digging re ammo to see if there are any rounds that work really well on game (not just make a hole). Regardless, I don't know that i can afford the ammo! As for great old rifles, I have six digit .348 winchester, all original, (1936 date of manf) with the original peep sight and two boxes of factory ammo from when Nixon was in the white house. That's the only rifle i don't shoot or hunt with. I do plan to fill the freezer this winter with thi new (to me) 338, however. Going forward its going to be all Sako - that 7mm mag with the 26 inch barrel looks to me to be a world beater. I don't know if you can get better than that, tho I suspect they are really hard to come by.
Thanks again for the info.

Wiggman. I am not familiar with the Trask unit. Most of my hunts have been Eastern Oregon the last few years. (old age) I have used Nosler Ballistic tips and Accubonds exclusively for hunting for many years with excellent results from a very selective method of hand loading. I love the consistent accuracy, weight retention and expansion control of these bullets over a wide range of velocity that is gained by match weighing every bullet. I am not promoting any specific brand, just the results on everything from wild boar to Big Horn at moderate to long range. My favorite 7mm STW is a stainless Sako M75 with a 26" barrel. Ballistics: 150 gr Ballistic Tip, 3142 FPS, muzzle energy 3300 ft-lbs. My next best choice is a M995 but a bit heavier. When you are ready for that 7mm STW, let me know. Best of luck on this years hunt. Stay safe. Sakojim.

I'm pleased to report the L61R shoots very well, tho it does kick like a dinosaur. Thanks again, everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 15
Back