• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello All VL63 308 Is My First Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

rr2241tx

When these were new and so was I the Finnwolf 243 was the rifle I wanted but could not afford. Lo these many decades later, I have at last gotten my hands on one in 308 (SN 10XX). She's a beauty! But like myself, there's problems with function. The bolt wouldn't close on a cartridge. After trying several factory rounds, it became clear that the extractor and ejector were not free. I should have had better sense, but I removed the bolt to see if the extractor and ejector could be freed up. The hammer spring was rusty and broken right in two in the middle. A replacement spring was not too hard to create from spring stock. The insides of the bolt had some nasty looking brown semi-solid ??? on them. The mystery muck appears to be a combination of solidified grease and fine rust particles. Kroil and elbow grease got most of the parts freed up and I managed to clean everything except the ejector. The retaining roll pin did eventually come out, but a week in Kroil hasn't had any noticeable effect on the goo in the ejector recess. I got the ejector depressed into the blind hole where it is now firmly stuck on top of the presumably rusted and fully compressed spring. Any advice on how to get the ejector back out of that hole so it can be cleaned? If I can't get the ejector functioning, I suppose I'll just put her back together and enjoy dumping the extracted brass by gravity.
6OtsxMGl.jpg

Try soaking it is acetone or lacquer thinner or spray some carb or brake cleaner on it as they can dissolve some pretty tough gunk. Don't get any of this stuff anywhere near your wood stock or it will remove your finish faster than you can wipe it off.

Also wear rubber gloves. Carb cleaner will suck the oil right out of your skin, resulting in serious pain. I found that out the hard way cleaning the 4-barrel on a Corvette I used to have.

Still waiting for the ejector to free up... Decided to reassemble the rifle before the parts got lost. The hammer spring follower launched into a heavily cluttered area of the workshop. I’m not a gymnast nor have I ever played one on TV. My intrepid friend who was attempting the reassembly isn’t either. Rather than move what is quite possibly a literal ton of small tools holding down a bench with cabinets which we agreed was the most likely place that the follower might be, we swept beneath the cabinets with a length of drill rod. Many small, dried critters were recovered along with a few screws, nuts, and a piece of trim that disappeared 8 or 10 years ago. We then decided it was worth a shot to sift through a box containing a few thousand .223 cases, just in case. Being down on our knees on a concrete floor soon convinced us that although the missing follower couldn’t be that lost, its immediate location was not an emergency. About six hours later, a magnet re-searching the area located the wayward piece.
The rifle is back together and working ejector or not, it will be shot today wearing the receiver sight that arrived yesterday.

The brown stuff is Hoppes #9, if left long enough without a proper cleaning it turns in shellac. Gun scrubber should do the trick.

The brown stuff is Hoppes #9, if left long enough without a proper cleaning it turns in shellac. Gun scrubber should do the trick.
Thanks. I have never encountered petrified Hoppes before. There’s one thing for sure, Kroil has little to no effect on it.

The most recent range trip went much better. The rifle runs well and smoothly enough. Even though the peep sight was not matched to the rifle, shots inside 100 yards were very nearly POA=POI. The headspace seems to be just a tad tight. I’ll shave a cartridge holder a couple of thousandths and check the fit before segregating a set of brass for this rifle.

Back