• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L461 Mannlicher .223

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Dave Buffington

Hi Folks!

Sometimes, a blind squirrel does find a nut ...

SakoL461M_right.jpg
SakoL461M_left.jpg

Yes, it's a L461 in .223 with a Mannlicher stock, and yes, I'm very pleased with myself. It's in excellent, but not perfect, condition, and it's remarkably handy to handle. (This is my first full-stock rifle of any kind, and I expected it to be front-heavy.)

Just one question ... Given the serial number (155605), roughly when was this made?

Thanks!
Dave

I'm guessing probably from around the time of the change to the AI stamping which was in 1979. The bolt shroud on the bolt with a L461 stamping indicates it's probably a gun made during the transition from the L461 to the AI, as it has an AI bolt.

Nice find Dave, beautiful carbine. I collect the A series guns. In your searches, have you run across any AI mannlichers based off the hunter style stock? I've only seen a picture of a .222 that was already sold. I've posted this question before, but the only answer I can recall is 'not many. I'll keep looking! I'll also watch for your range report! OT- a future project gun idea I have is to have an AI mannlicher stock made for my P94s hunter, as I don't have the skills.

Gary

Nice Dave. Do you mind me asking what it cost you?

Oh, I don't mind you asking at all, but I am going to put off answering the question. The gun is up for sale on Gunbroker now, and I don't want to influence that sale. Thanks for your patience!

Did you shoot it to see how it performed?

No, which brings me to the reason I'm selling the gun ... Once I had it cleaned up, I realized that it probably hasn't been shot since it left the factory.

And when I run into guns like that, I sell them. I want to remove the temptation, knowing that firing them will reduce their appeal (and value) to collectors.

Enjoy!
Dave

If the item in Gunbroker is your posting, take a look at the forend tip screw as it appears to have been damaged and a screwdriver scratch alongside, as well as bluing rubbed off the bolt release lever/button.
Not to criticize but just an observation. Still not as common as other calibers and should get a fair price. Good luck.

Dave, Just saw your update clarifying scratch on forend just an animal hair and bluing issue just excess oil smudge. Thanks and I may just bid on this .223 & all the best on a good price to you.

Latest posts

Back