• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Stoked! My 1st SAKO -- Riihimaki .222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

pwsamiam

Wow. Just inherited Grandfather's SAKO fox rifle via an uncle. I hope it likes 50gr Hornady 222 Supervarmint. Trying to get grandpa's hand-loads legally shipped to me.

Anybody got an idea of when manufactured? My guess is about 1953. Uncles seem to concur but they are 83+ years old.

Here are some pics and details: (see pics)
s/n 11814 on bolt and gun
various stamps on barrel
rear peep sight included
SAKO medium 1" / 26mm scope split-rings with original SAKO box
Old fixed Weaver K6-60 scope with good picture as far as I can tell

Uncle thinks scope will be spot on still even after shipping. I disagree, but really hope I am wrong.

Questions:
1) Was it manufactured about 1953?
2) Likelihood of scope being still holding zero after shipping or worth keeping on rifle (want to keep it original, but also want to hit the coyotes with it)
3) Can a modern Leupold 1" scope be mounted on those rings??

SAKO_222_1.jpg SAKO_222_right.jpg DSC00641.JPG Weaver Scope_1.jpg DSC00646.JPG SAKO_222_1.jpg SAKO_222_right.jpg DSC00641.JPG Weaver Scope_1.jpg DSC00646.JPG

Last edited:
The Weaver scope tells us the ringmounts are 1". There is no reason normal handling during shipping would alter the scope's zero. You will probably have to zero it for the ammo you get, regardless. You can request the rifle's manufacturing & shipping info by clicking on Factory Records Service in the black bar at the top of this page. Can't tell for sure from the pics, but if the ringmounts only have the split & screws on one side it requires the ocular bell & turrets be removed to install a scope. This is not possible with today's scopes & causes any fog proof seal to be broken. With split rings the top half of the ring can be removed. If the scope is still in good working condition, I see no reason it wouldn't work fine for killing coyotes. The scope and rings are contemporaneous with the rifle & have probably been together since your grandfather bought it, so I would be inclined to leave it as is. If you decide to mount a newer scope you will need either the later style windage adjustable split ring vintage Sako ringmounts (used market only) or some Leupold ringmounts made for the Sako dovetails. The height you need would depend on the scope. Lots of threads here you can read about the ringmounts. Looks like a very nice early 222 Rem Model L46 complete with front sight hood. You are a lucky man indeed! Riihimaki is the name of the town Sako is located, not a Model designation. Sako didn't stamp most of the L46's with that moniker, probably because it was the only model they made at that time. Welcome to the club!

What Paulson said.

Those look like the early Sako solid rings which aren't usable with later scopes for the reasons Paulson stated. But unless the fine old Weaver is defective in some way it should work fine once you've checked the zero and adjusted it to match whatever ammunition you're using in it.

Early Sako .222's (and this one is almost certainly from the early 1950's as can be verified by the factory records) usually had 1-16" twist barrels. This is fine so long as you stay with conventional bullets of 55 grains or less. Any factory 50 grain load should be nicely accurate in your new-to-you rifle.

Congrats Samiam on your treasured inheritance. Brings back memories of my first Sako, an L46 #11298 sporter in .222 like yours, bought used in 1972. Mine had the earlier strap trigger gaurd instead of the machined gaurd like yours, which may put it in transition phase of approx. 1955. Only the Factory Records Service offered here will pinpoint year of manufacture. The Weaver 6x scope will not be a handicap hunting fox. Using a B&L 2.5x8 scope, mine would shoot bug holes at 100 yds. with Hornady's 5o gr. SX and 19.8 grains of imr 4198. The accuracy and craftsmanship of this little rifle started a lifetime of collecting. Be forewarned of this condition called Sakoitus.:)

Back