• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Stoeger AV .375

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Schmit55

I have a stoger imported AV 375 I got today. I think it is pretty cool. What rings and scope do I need.

I would also like one in 308 or 7-08 is anyone knows of one.

Much depends on what you intend to hunt and under what lighting conditions, but for most hunting with that sort of rifle, a low-powered scope is appropriate. My default choice would be a Leupold 1.5-5x VXIII or similar in either original Sako rings or, if the gun has open sights, Warne QD rings (discontinued, but can sometimes be found on eBay or Gunbroker). I have that Leupold in Sako rings on an AV in 9.3x62mm, a ballistically similar cartridge.

Thank you!

So are the Warne QD called just warne qd for sako?
Yes. They are vertically split and were made in low, medium, and high. They were also made for fixed mounting, without the QD feature. Here's what the QD rings look like on a long-action Sako. They have tabs that index the rings on the ejection port. The scope is a 1.75-6x Leupold VX-III.
AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG

Thanks, I think I will do the same thing - if I can find them. Medium height should work with a 40mm objective.

Much depends on what you intend to hunt and under what lighting conditions, but for most hunting with that sort of rifle, a low-powered scope is appropriate. My default choice would be a Warne QD called just warne qd for sakoI or similar in either original Sako rings or, if the gun has open sights, Warne QD rings (discontinued, but can sometimes be found on eBay or Gunbroker). I have that Leupold in Sako rings on an AV in 9.3x62mm, a ballistically similar cartridge.

Looks like I should run the Leupold with the scope turned 90 degrees with a duplex reticle so the windage adjustment doenst impead the ejection.

Any thoughts on where to dine a used VXIII?

Congrats Schmitt,

I'm a fan of Warne mounts too. Be aware the current maxima series rings for the 75/85 models likely will not work on older models. I've tried. I have found the non-QD mounts, but they are rare. I don't know if Talley makes them, you might look there. As for 'A' series fullstock or Kokotukki models, good luck. It took me several years to find an AII .308. I recently bought an AV .338 from a poster here. 7-08 might be impossible to find. Rare to the extreme. Bloody rare...

Looks like I should run the Leupold with the scope turned 90 degrees with a duplex reticle so the windage adjustment doenst impead the ejection.

You should not need to rotate the rifle scope on an AV rifle when mounting a VX III rifle scope. The ejection angle is plenty low to clear the windage turret, I’ve mounted on several occasions, 1.5-5 Leupolds, in low ringmounts, both Leupold and Sako - and never had a spent case not clear.

The AV will have NO EJECTION ISSUES! You must be thinking of the current Model 85 that has shown that tendency with certain caliber/scope combinations. The ejector is completely different between these two models. The AV is good to go with any scope you put on it.

1. What scope? .375 no need for large objective & need know tube diameter to order ring size, I.e., 1”, 30mm or 33mm? Many hunters use straight tube objective (1.5-5X, 30mm (2-7X, 2.5-8X or 40mm objective on many scopes.
2. If 1” then go to web & multitudes of sources for matching brand of rings & bases, I.e., Leupold QD (quick disconnect) bases & matching QD 1” rings Medium height.
3. Make certain they are Sako dovetail bases & you’re ready.

As Spaher says, what scope do you intend to mount? Most people prefer a fairly low magnification scope with good eye relief on a .375. Also, you'll want to keep the scope as low as practical since you don't want your head bobbing around in the air to get your eye high enough for the sight picture, then have the recoil of the .375 smack the scope into your forehead as your extended neck does a whiplash. Even the lowest of the current Sako Optilock mounts are inexplicably too tall for a normal size scope.

Fixed power scopes are almost impossible to find these days, so you may have to go with a lower power variable. Anything in the Leupold line between 1-4X and 2-7x is a pretty good choice, although there are certainly other good scopes available. Original Sako ringmounts (now out of production) can be found online or from some dealers. You'll probably need the "medium" height for anything up to a 40mm objective, but can use a "low" for straight-tube scopes like the 1-4x or 1.5-5X. If you can't find the original Sako ringmouts then the Leupold ringmounts also clamp directly on the Sako receiver without the use of bases and are also good rings with a clean form.

As Spaher says, what scope do you intend to mount? Most people prefer a fairly low magnification scope with good eye relief on a .375. Also, you'll want to keep the scope as low as practical since you don't want your head bobbing around in the air to get your eye high enough for the sight picture, then have the recoil of the .375 smack the scope into your forehead as your extended neck does a whiplash. Even the lowest of the current Sako Optilock mounts are inexplicably too tall for a normal size scope.

Fixed power scopes are almost impossible to find these days, so you may have to go with a lower power variable. Anything in the Leupold line between 1-4X and 2-7x is a pretty good choice, although there are certainly other good scopes available. Original Sako ringmounts (now out of production) can be found online or from some dealers. You'll probably need the "medium" height for anything up to a 40mm objective, but can use a "low" for straight-tube scopes like the 1-4x or 1.5-5X. If you can't find the original Sako ringmouts then the Leupold ringmounts also clamp directly on the Sako receiver without the use of bases and are also good rings with a clean form.

I think a 2-7 leupold

Why wont this work?

Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8x36mm Riflescope, 1 inch Tube, CDS-ZL Duplex, Matte Black, 180616Reticle: CDS-ZL DuplexTube Diameter: 1 inReticle Focal Plane: Second Focal Plane (SFP)Color: BlackWeight: 11.4 ozAdjustment Type: MOAFinish: MatteW/E Travel at 100 Yds: 67 MOA
Code: LU-RS-LEU202-180616
Sorry, this coupon does not apply due to manufacturer restrictions.
$499.99
remove
$499.99
save for later
move to wishlist
Get $9.91 OP Bucks
Sako Optilock Ringmounts - 1in, Low, Blue S1701900Tube Diameter: 1 in
Code: 38-MT-SAKOPU8-S1701900

Yes, the combination shown above will work. Simply remember, the low Sako Optilock Ringmounts are somewhat higher than typical. Therefore, the rifle scope listed will have a slightly higher gap between the rifle and scope bottom.

Edit: look at icebears picture above, your gap could be slightly larger. So your check may need to ride up on the comb a bit more.

Last edited:
If you go with Optilocks, I'd recommend the extra-low rather than the low. They can be hard to find. Also, the ad copy-pasted into the post seems to be from Optics Planet. I'd be a bit cautious about dealing with them. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes they will tell you they have something in stock and then they drop-ship it from the manufacturer or distributor and it takes a few weeks to show up. I've also heard repeated complaints about repackaged optics being sold as new, although that's never happened to me.

Tthe 2.5-8x Leupold is long enough to work on a long-action Sako - barely. Either Warne QD rings or the pre-Optilock Sako mounts made in Australia would be a better choice than Optilocks, but both are discontinued and not always easy to find. I've gotten them off eBay from time to time.

Back