• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Caveat Emptor!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bloorooster

The Old Hippie
There is a fresh listing on GB, a “Sako Sporter L57 .243.
The Barreled action is in pretty nice shape and the stock is fair with the plastic butt pad replaced. Thing is ,if you look close , they don’t belong together as the stock looks to be a later L579 stock from late FI or possibly Garcia with no grip cap.
Look closely if you run across it.

The L57’s have a swell or “sow belly” that kinda drops a bit from the merging pistol grip area to the trigger guard and floor plate. You can see it protruding from the L579 stock which contours flat from the pistol grip.

This example of put together Sako rifles is just one and there are hundreds and hundreds of them out there. This guy would probably fair better if he just sold them separately! IMO

The old Hippie

68EDF30C-A642-4A2C-B573-155A889AC5FE.jpeg 8C47D419-CD8C-4318-9AEA-6B49F3D0EF66.jpeg
Once again..caveat!
Here is a L46 in .22 hornet. Well known web site.
Look closely!
This gun Screams for an early wing safety, which it obviously is gonna have to settle for less!
It is said this one is stocked in birch but it has finish problems.

Do you see what I see?

The old Hippie

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about what you mention, but the safety access "door" been messed with. Looks like it hasn't been slid back on correctly with spring tab not set properly in place.

DeerGoose

I’ve added another photo from the listing, note the serial number. I would think it should be a lefty or at least have the early “Sako top” stamp, not the fine knurled top as we see here.
Also the circle Sako L46 stamp seems to be “out of time” for the same reason , it also is placed further back in location from what I’ve been used to seeing (which is acceptable to me as one more Sakonomaly!)

My only rifle to compare is numbered in the 6000’s ..smooth “Sako Top” safety, no circle stamped dovetail.
I didn’t think the fine knurled top came till a bit later.

hippie

I’ve added another photo from the listing, note the serial number. I would think it should be a lefty or at least have the early “Sako top” stamp, not the fine knurled top as we see here.
Also the circle Sako L46 stamp seems to be “out of time” for the same reason , it also is placed further back in location from what I’ve been used to seeing (which is acceptable to me as one more Sakonomaly!)

My only rifle to compare is numbered in the 6000’s ..smooth “Sako Top” safety, no circle stamped dovetail.
I didn’t think the fine knurled top came till a bit later.

hippie
I have 4 early rifles Bee, Hornet, 7x33 and 222. Two left land and two rotating safeties. That is about all the similarities that exist. Rotating safeties are smooth top 55xx and 71xx with Sako stamp on them and the left hand both have the same L46 marking as rifle you are referencing, 49xx and 55xx serial number. The caliber markings are all different and in different locations on the barrel. While there may be something wrong with this gun, I am pointing out the various differences in 4 rifles I own of the same time period. They are all different. The bolts may interchange seemingly, but a rotating safety will not close and lock in a winged action but wing bolt will close and lock in a rotating action. I just tried this. While I agree with you a wing safety seems logical for this rifle, may be correct as shown. Just need a peep at the number stamped on the bolt handle to answer several questions.

Thank you Tomball, for you speak the truth in hand.
Your description does make sense to me, realizing how Sako can change things so abruptly in production phases. I also tried the bolt switch experiment on my earlier two rifles from left to right safety and found what you did. The thing I suppose that makes me question it is the fine knurling or cross hatching on the bolt top, all else considered, still seems too early for the period . Like you said tho , if the numbers match , I stand (or will sit ) absolutely corrected!

old hippie

Crow..the other , other , white meat!

After a little more observation I’m seeing a few more examples of fine cross hatching on 46’s in the early 5 and 6000’s numbers. As amazing as it seems to me!

I suppose that possibly this might indicate that the Smooth Sako Top safety is rare in itself as far as short runs go.. crazy!

Thinking of maybe developing a new line of Crow seasonings for guys like me!

sorry for my quick condemnation and caveat!

old hippie

Don't let serial numbers mislead you! The factory records show the one in the photo (SN 5191) is from mid-1951, so the configuration of the bolt/safety seems correct. Most of the rifles on that particular ledger page of 50 consecutive serial numbers are from 1949, but there is a scattering of 1951 rifles somewhat randomly mixed in. No one knows why Sako did this, just that they did.

Christmas season is upon us…I notice a surge in new members posting guns for sale.
Some could be legit…..but be wary.

This is an old thread and the previous posts are a slightly different discussion … I dug it out for the title..nothing to do with rifle pictured earlier. ✌️Bloo

Back