• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rihimaki 222 rem. Info please!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hey guys!! Glad to be here! I am a avid Winchester 70 collector and lover of fine firearms.. Needless to say I saw this little rifle at a local gun show this weekend and had to have it! Superb quality and feels amazing! Was not cheap though but quality is worth the extra cash!! Would love some more info on the little rifle from some of the sako gurus out there!! Thanks guys and glad to be here!!! received_240590234538775.jpeg received_330727705230006.jpeg received_124470583105329.jpeg received_240590234538775.jpeg received_330727705230006.jpeg received_124470583105329.jpeg 20210612_142147.jpg

Nice find!
You have now what will probably become your favorite carry rifle. The Model 70 is an icon, no question, and highly collectible. If this is your first Sako rifle, prepare to provide yourself extra room (or rooms) for storage...
The scope set up is nice, wouldn’t be surprised if came that way! I love period correctness!
It should shoot bug holes, as almost every one I’ve had my hands on did.
If you like The m 70 trigger, your gonna love this one, they are exquisite almost always!
I love my 46’s ! Light and quick to the shoulder, super reliable and accurate.
Keep an eye on the detachable magazine, as they can easily be lost and really pricey to replace .
Congratulations dude, you got a nice one

Old Hippie

You have a Sako L46 sporter-style rifle made in the 1950's. This model is often referred to as the "Riihimäki" model, but the correct model designation is L46. L stands for "luodikko," a Finnish term for a rifle. 46 refers to 1946, the year the rifle was first designed. Riihimäki is the city in Finland where the Sako factory is located. The L46 was originally made for the proprietary 7x33 Finnish cartridge, then for .22 Hornet and .218 Bee. Sako modified the action for the .222 in 1951, shortly after Remington introduced the cartridge. The .222 was an instant hit in Finland and Sako has been a major promoter of the cartridge. The L46 was made in several configurations: sporter, heavy barrel, Mannlicher-style full-stock rifle, and Mannlicher-style full-stock carbine. The L46 was replaced in the early 1960's by the L461, which had an integral magazine and a trigger safety, among other changes.

You will have noticed that the rifle has a front sight, but no rear sight. This was to facilitate use of a rear aperture sight that clamped onto the rear scope base. I cannot tell from the photos whether the front sight blade is present or not. That part is very hard to find. The rifle was originally equipped with a sight hood. Repros are available on eBay and Gunbroker, and you can occasionally find an original. The scope rings on your rifle are original and correct for the model.

Here's a photo of the detachable rear sight mounted on an L46.
L46-2.JPG

If you click on the factory records service above you can get copies of the Sako records for inspection and shipping (when and to where it was originally shipped) for a relatively small fee.

Hello Ice Bear,
The Peep Sight on your L46 is a mark 2. The correct Peep Sight for the L46 is a mark 1. If you go to Peep Sights you will see what I am on about.
Blackjack

I'm aware there's an earlier version of the peep sight. It is visibly larger in size and has a couple of other minor differences. I've never seen any documentation as to exactly which year Sako made the change. I put that sight on there for the experience of shooting a Sako with the peep sight, not to create a perfect match for display - just as few L46 owners put 1950's scopes on their rifles (I actually have one such rifle, a wing-safety L46 .222 with its original Kollmorgen scope and mount).

Thanks for your comments.

Back