• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Ammunition integrity during firing process.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devareaux, you show an enormous knowledge of physics, but you are having a problem accepting common basic discussion of fact pertaining to bullet strength and integrity. Please take your discussion to another forum.

Stonecreek. Would you please shut down this thread because it has become a pissing contest that no longer serves any good purpose on this forum.

To all of you who have contributed to this discussion while it was still of value to those who hand load for the best results of ALL phases of shooting, thank you for your input. Sakojim.

I have posted the World Congress of Engineering paper, I also posted the Hornady Study, I also posted the study that Erik did at Berger Bullets about everything I have brought to the thread. But no one is quoting those links, because they aren't here to discuss bullet integrity, they are here to simply be argumentative. This is the general discussion forum, which is the proper place to generally discuss Sako related information, and if Bullet Integrity isn't related to a Sako owner and his firearm, I don't know what is.

This isn't a pissing contest or a thread about physics, no one cares who knows more about physics, I'm sure there are engineers here that would put everyone to shame about their knowledge of physics. This is a thread about bullet integrity and posting information regarding this, you don't have to know physics to do this, just be a participant. And I've had multiple people show up to my thread only to protest the fact that I'm posting in the first place on a matter they wish not be on the forums, ,well too bad so sad, they aren't the thread Gestapo and I won't be disrespected by authoritarians. Sounds pretty Anti- Free speech to me. I actually expected better behavior from the members here at SCC.

(https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/berger-bullet-failure-test.2481280/)
Proceedings of the 'World Congress of Engineering'"(http://www.iaeng.org/publication/WCE2010/WCE2010_pp1444-1447.pdf)
(https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/10/29/hornadys-big-announcement-eld-x-heat-shield-tip/)
(https://kestrelmeters.com/pages/g1-g7-ballistic-coefficients-what-s-the-difference)

"The SR-71 would get blisteringly hot. This was not due to “friction” with the air as is often claimed, but due to compression of the air. In effect, the SR-71 was a bloody great hammer smashing air molecules; since it was moving three times the speed of sound, the molecules simply could not flow out of the way and instead were compressed to many times normal density and shoved out of the way. The compression occurred quickly enough that the heat built up in the process could not radiate away, and instead was conducted to the skin of the plane.

Interestingly, the hottest part of the plane – apart from the engines – was the one part that the engineers and pilots most wanted to keep cool: the cockpit.
"

I'll try to get some visuals for those that would like to see some of the things I'm talking about here. So you don't have to sift through the jargon.

Small varmint round

Larger round doing the same thing.

The people on this thread saying that heat can't act upon a bullet quick enough to impact the integrity of the bullet, do not understand the more complicated matter of heat transfer under pressure. Most of the people on this thread have had great information to relay, and they deserve the information to best be prepared for a proper hunt, and for proper ammunition down the barrel of their Sakos. If even one person here benefits from this information, then this thread was a success.

If anyone has anymore relevant information, please continue to post. Because bullets aren't getting any cheaper, and I would want us all, even the trolls, to benefit from making sure that we have the best bullets going through our barrels to get the job at hand done!

Godspeed everyone.

EDIT: Info on the 7mm round.

Ballistic Coefficient: .625
Sectional Density: .287
Velocity: 2300-??? (Depends on powder loads)
Range: 3000
Twist Rate: 1-9" Or faster

(https://www.hornady.com/bullets/eld-x#!/)
"Best-in-class BCs
Verified by Doppler radar, the Heat Shield® tip is immune to the effects of aerodynamic heating and retains its shape to maintain the highest-in-class BC over its entire trajectory."
(These are the new ELD-X series to replace the A-Max)

Again these are the A-Max series bullets by Hornady that they eventually replaced with the ELD-X series due to problems found in the old bullets due to heat. Hornady did a study that I posted earlier, and they concluded that indeed the tips were melting, and it was affecting their bullets under certain conditions(not only were the tips melting, but the compression of air was heating the lead, and they basically vaporized). Not only was their tips melting, but every major brand of High Ballistic Coefficient bullets tipped with these polymers were melting under these conditions.

As you can see, the A-Max series was another high Ballistic Coefficient round, affected by these heat issues. And every manufacturer has noticed this phenomena and yet they never changed the recommended velocities, so the twist rates and the impending rotations really didn't have much to do with anything, or else they would have simply reduced their recommendations. Instead they beefed up the polymer tips, and I'm not sure if they beefed up the copper walls or not, I'll have to see. But everything Hornady changed in their new series of bullets, were to protect against these heating issues.

Last edited:
The OP seems to be an obsessed individual that is hell bent to get everyone to tell him he is correct in every way. If they don't he launches an attack on them. PLEASE, SOMEONE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN!!!!! This is the most ugly thread I have ever seen on this forum and the OP is the one responsible for it. This will be my last post here & I hope EVERYONE else's as well.

The OP seems to be an obsessed individual that is hell bent to get everyone to tell him he is correct in every way. If they don't he launches an attack on them. PLEASE, SOMEONE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN!!!!! This is the most ugly thread I have ever seen on this forum and the OP is the one responsible for it. This will be my last post here & I hope EVERYONE else's as well.

You're off topic, why don't you comment on the videos I posted about the bullets disintegrating sub 25 yards. This isn't an ugly thread, you're just an ugly person. Stop posting, you'd be doing us all a favor.

Not sure who is the troller nor who is the trollee, but it does seem that this thread has gone beyond the bounds of the latitude we subscribe to on this forum. Sine die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back