• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Testing the peep sight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

dynnis

Bench shooting with the newly mounted peep sight. 100 meters on Electronics
This ended up as the best round. And I’m more than satisfied with the result.

I notised that after 8 shots the spread started to increase. So i had to wait for the barrel to cool down a bit.

A total of 65 bullets went through the barrel this pretty chill day.

Attachments

• B66FEB27-FB32-4A5C-9F34-671D69DCC7C5.jpeg
    B66FEB27-FB32-4A5C-9F34-671D69DCC7C5.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 65
For this particular round I waited 3-5 minutes between the shots, just to try to keep the spread closer. It I just love the accuracy on this gun.
But the barrel need to be at a ok temperature (as all hunting rifles I guess) to get the last shots where you aim. For 3 rounds shooting this wont ba a probleme.

Last edited:
Is the peep sight designed to be used as a ghost ring by taking out the center part? I am trying this since my shots will all be under fifty yards. Seemed to work at the range. My Bavarian stock sets up a perfect cheek weld every time so it seems designed for this. Just wondering if Sako intended that use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e14e3365d824db3410fb90729aa1b290.jpg

28b94df4941a12032465443e7540d416.jpg

Took the rear iron sight off to show more of the front blade.

Is the peep sight designed to be used as a ghost ring by taking out the center part? I am trying this since my shots will all be under fifty yards. Seemed to work at the range. My Bavarian stock sets up a perfect cheek weld every time so it seems designed for this. Just wondering if Sako intended that use.

No. It can be used that way, as you have found out by doing it, but there is no reason to believe that Sako planned it that way.

I have a Sako peep that the insert has been drilled out to create a ghost-ring sight. I think it provides a better sight picture than just removing the insert. If you would be interested in a swap, send me a PM. I can send pictures.

Thanks Ice. I’ll spend a little more time practicing with it as intended. I’ll let you know. It’s amazing how the human brain can just naturally center those front sights even with my extra large ghost ring. I guess it is also a testament to how well Sako built that Bavarian stock. It seems to me it is specifically designed for these sights (not a scope).

One huge disadvantage seems to be low light. It is shooting light right now here in CT (30 mins before sun up) and I can’t see through this sight. [emoji17]

Also I just noticed there seems to be some sort of dot centered in the aperture? Do I line that up with the front blade (he asked expecting the answer “yeah, duh!)

Last edited by a moderator:
A question for the guru's, did the peep sights come with different sizes of aperture?

20210814_130100.jpg

Just picked a 2nd one up off eBay, nice that they are different. Maybe use the other for different loads or low/poor light conditions.

The dot is an optional illusion! I forget what it’s called. A halo effect is caused by the aperture leaving a grey dot centered to the eye. You can use this option to tighten the groups much like crosshairs or target dots. When the front sight post lines up in the grey dot … your on!

A question for the guru's, did the peep sights come with different sizes of aperture?

View attachment 23658

Just picked a 2nd one up off eBay, nice that they are different. Maybe use the other for different loads or low/poor light conditions.
The earlier peeps had larger apertures , which do give more light transmission.
I believe there are 3 versions of the Sako peep over time . You have the first 2 versions pictured and Daddy-o has the last version on his Bavarian.

hippie

Last edited by a moderator:
Optical illusion? Holy hallucinations Batman! You are kidding! I would swear it was hovering there in the hole. Did the Sako engineers do that on purpose?

Your Bavarian should do well with iron sites, but if you really want accuracy from your Sako Peep , use along with the front site hood. I noticed your rifle is not equipped with one.
Sako’s L and A series rifles had hoods and I think they came with peeps and rings when purchased new from the factory.
The addition of the front hood lends even more accuracy as the eye and the brain work better aligning concentric circles, naturally.

I keep a peep in my hunting pack, in case of some accident or malfunction of my scope. It makes a quick and suitable back up in a pinch

Hippie

After also trying to shoot through these OEM peeps I designed an adaptor module that accepts a range of larger peep sight apertures.
Can be adjusted via the original set screws and with the peep removed forms a fairly effective ghost ring through the threaded hole.

Still blocks off large amounts of the surrounding scene so I shelved the idea after making up one prototype.

Sako peep adaptor.jpeg

Interesting. My current set up will be to remove the center and just use the housing. I leave the rear sight base on. My eye and the fit of the gun naturally puts the front blade dead center. It comes up quickly and I only focus on the front blade. The rear sight housing gives my eye / brain something else to center the front blade over.

I know it’s a little Bubba but it works.

6820b1e586a145acaccda252f5835ae7.jpg

Back