• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

.280 Ackley Improved

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bucktote

Hi fellow Sako Fans!
I have again been smitten by a Lupold scoped, left hand Delux Sako AV. It is listed for $1,300 + and has been rebarreled to a .280 Ackley improved. I don't know anything about that cartridge and may want to rebarrel it, but what cals. are compatable with that action? I would really like a 25/06 barrel on it, Does this seem to be a money pit??? B/T

Hi fellow Sako Fans!
I have again been smitten by a Lupold scoped, left hand Delux Sako AV. It is listed for $1,300 + and has been rebarreled to a .280 Ackley improved. I don't know anything about that cartridge and may want to rebarrel it, but what cals. are compatable with that action? I would really like a 25/06 barrel on it, Does this seem to be a money pit??? B/T
I wouldn’t consider it a money pit but it will come with more significant investment on your part. $1300. for the set up + $650. +\- for a barrel brings you in at just under 2k. A good barrel like a Pac-Nor or equivalent should provide excellent results- hopefully. Personally if you don’t have the skills, then I’d send the action to the barrel maker for the work, unless you have a smith you trust completely. The action is suitable for a variety of cartridges in the .30-06 family as well as others. Another way of looking at it is this, go out and price a full custom rifle, in my opinion 2k may be well spent. BTW .280 AI is an awesome and versatile cartridge. I might recommend picking up the rifle and shooting it to see what results it may provide. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Sako Fans!
I had the same type of adventure several years ago with a Ruger with a non concentric chamber in 7X57 Mauser. I ran a reamer into it and made it an Ackley Imp. All I needed to do to make the brass was to fire regular 7X57 cartridges and the pressure would blow out the cases to match the chamber. From then on I just needed to neck size the cases to reload in 7mm AI. I do remember that it kicked the snot out of me so I gave it to my brother......He loves it. All you need is time and patience with an A.I. I would do something else, but I'm "no fun" anymore, either.

Check the chamber to see what version of AI it is. There are som "home made" chamberings that creates some confusion as to what to expect.

There is the SAAMI spec and if it is so, no worries. There is factory loads from several manufacturers and dies if you are reloading.

If it is some other varieties with basically the same dimensions. But again, check to make sure.

Anyway, if it is correctly done, use regular 280 Rem ammo. It will not be as fast, but accuracy most often isn't any less.

Other than the scarcity of factory ammo, my opinion is that it beats the 30-06 in every way. Unless, of course, you want to use 180+ grain bullets.

Near 7mm RM velocities (about 100 fps slower) gives a flat shooting rifle. Do a YouTube search, it has quite a following.

Mine sends 150 gr jhp bullets down range at 3180 fps and that is not a hot load by a good margin.

Thank you all for the response,
The main features FOR Buying: I'm left eye dominant- left hand rifle
Never had a left hand rifle
Love Delux wood & rifles
Love Lupold scopes & mount set-up

Reasons for NOT buying: Have two 30/06 rifles
Read past threads on Ackley Improved
Have model 71 kicks snot out of me
Cost not comensurate with need
Ammo expensive & not easy to find
Jimminy Cricket on my sholder
Wife sharpening the buzz saw !