• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New to me l61r in 30-06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Best check the headstamp date on that M2 ball. If it's WWII era, it could be corrosive. Highly unlikely, but you never know. Headstamp should have LC and the last two digits of the year of manufacture.

I'll check it out of interest. But I have no intention of actually shooting either of these boxes.
Thank you

Congrats. I love the 06. I don’t think it gets the respect it deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats. I love the 06. I don’t think it gets the respect it deserves.
Why do you say that? It seems to me that in the US, the .30-06 is considered the go-everywhere, do-everything cartridge for medium to large game. If it's bigger than a rabbit and smaller than a grizzly bear, somebody is hunting it with a .30-06. And, of course, US military collectors are all over the 03 Springfield and the Garand. There's a huge variety of loads for it, and you can find ammo almost anywhere. It's also been the basis for many, many other cartridges, standard and wildcat. There's the .270, .280, .25-06, .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, and we could go on for a while. I'm not personally a big-time collector of the '06, but I do own two Sakos, a Krico, a Winchester 95, and a Garand. How much respect does a cartridge need?

Why do you say that? It seems to me that in the US, the .30-06 is considered the go-everywhere, do-everything cartridge for medium to large game. If it's bigger than a rabbit and smaller than a grizzly bear, somebody is hunting it with a .30-06. And, of course, US military collectors are all over the 03 Springfield and the Garand. There's a huge variety of loads for it, and you can find ammo almost anywhere. It's also been the basis for many, many other cartridges, standard and wildcat. There's the .270, .280, .25-06, .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, and we could go on for a while. I'm not personally a big-time collector of the '06, but I do own two Sakos, a Krico, a Winchester 95, and a Garand. How much respect does a cartridge need?
I'm afraid that the young shooters today don't have the same admiration for the 'o6. In my conversations with them they feel it is too slow & antiquated. Just not as glamorous or as fast as the "magnums". Kinda like me. BTW, it will dispatch a Grizzly Bear quite efficiently.

How much respect does a cartridge need?
Not to write out of turn here but - the respect I believe BD is more or less references is the way the cartridge has taken a back seat to the wizz-bangs being written about by today’s writers and bloggers. Rarely, you’ll see an article which speaks of the 06 in a classic cartridge format or some obscure blip on the radar.

Obviously, the cartridge (its history) and it’s family of other classic cartridges still have plenty to offer but these cartridges are often forgotten, because some folks look at them like plain vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:
One will find more Sako rifles, along with all other makers, chambered in 30-06. There is a reason for it. It was a very popular caliber then, the work horse of center fires so to speak. Then there is also the .243 win, which was one of the first big distractors that was responsible for the loss of interest. I suppose the light recoil and flat trajectories became attractive. Just my thoughts.
The Human race, by nature, is never really satisfied with anything. A great idea can always be improved upon, and will always be improved upon. But..in the same respect, if this were not the case, we’d all be here going on about our collection of clubs and spears .
Advertising and Media Sensations lead us all like livestock to next best thing. We take the good with bad.
Hmmm
I wonder, if way back when loose powder and lead balls were the norm, how many shooters trusted the new improved metallic cartridge?

bloo

I wonder, if way back when loose powder and lead balls were the norm, how many shooters trusted the new improved metallic cartridge?
Actually, there were a lot of intermediate stages. Paper cartridges that you opened with your teeth and poured the powder. Breech-loaders using non-metallic cartridges. Needle-fire. When metallic cartridges came along in recognizable form, they got popular very fast.

Not to write out of turn here but - the respect I believe BD is more or less references is the way the cartridge has taken a back seat to the wizz-bangs being written about by today’s writers and bloggers. Rarely, you’ll see an article which speaks of the 06 in a classic cartridge format or some obscure blip on the radar.

Obviously, the cartridge (its history) and it’s family of other classic cartridges still have plenty to offer but these cartridges are often forgotten, because some folks look at them like plain vanilla ice cream.

A model 70 in 270 is worth more than in 30 06 even though 06 Is a more versatile round. Might be true for Sakos too. The more I learn about rifles the more I respect the 06.

A model 70 in 270 is worth more than in 30 06 even though 06 Is a more versatile round. Might be true for Sakos too. The more I learn about rifles the more I respect the 06.

There’s always been the classic debate over the .270 vs .30-06. Both are classics and obviously both are versatile. The .270 came after the 06. Jack O’Conner wrote dozens of articles for Outdoor Life Magazine showing the cartridges multi continent versatility. Obviously, many in shooting public were convinced this was the way to go….period.

Then there is the 06 crowd. They have the exact same beliefs of their tried and true cartridge. Obviously the versatility cannot be argued. It’s taken probably every species of big game on the planet. I remember pictures of 06’s taken with dead polar bears, lions, elephants, leopards and other dangerous game.

I also remember when you could buy factory ammo in 06 from 55 grains to 220 grains. I agree, if you had 100% equal rifles, the .270 probably would sell at a slightly higher price. However, if I was mandated by our government to select one rifle it definitely would be a .30-06. Let the debate continue…..

The 30-06 is still a preferred caliber by most African PH’s and guides.
My first bolt action centerfire was a Ruger M77 UL
chambered in .270win. That gun served me well for many hunts. Topped with a Tasco world class scope.
I took many deer with it. I gave it to my eldest son, who still has it today.
Pricing rifles by caliber all boils down to rarity, for collectors, but has little to do with the ability and ballistic function of each caliber.

Bloo

A model 70 in 270 is worth more than in 30 06 even though 06 Is a more versatile round. Might be true for Sakos too.
That has more to do with scarcity and collectibility than the relative merits of the two cartridges. A Model 70 in .22 Hornet is worth more than the '06 and the .270 put together. I'm reasonably certain that Winchester sold more pre-64 Model 70's in .30-06 than any other caliber.

Good Morning Fellow Sako people!!
It is interesting how great minds flow together. I just finished comparing the 30/06 to other popular cartridges: .308, 25/06 & .270. My reasoning,
( most times flawed) found that there is good reason the 30/06 is so versitile. I can load 125 gr. bullets @ 3,000 fps. similar to the .270, load 180+ gr. bullets heavier than the .308 can & the same goes for the 25/06. All good calibers, but with one rifle a person can do anything the others caliber rifles can can do. I made this comparison because I was coveting a pristine .308 Sako Deluxe seen on GI site (@$2990.00) Not a left hand model!! but quite a beautiful piece of art, form & function!! But sadly it would become a safe queen at my house. It is however highly desirable, B/T

Last edited:
That has more to do with scarcity and collectibility than the relative merits of the two cartridges. A Model 70 in .22 Hornet is worth more than the '06 and the .270 put together. I'm reasonably certain that Winchester sold more pre-64 Model 70's in .30-06 than any other caliber.
I would only respectfully suggest in keeping the debate focused on the two cartridges BD had commented on. A pre 64 hornet is the grail for model 70 collectors. In fact that could be said for any higher quality Hornet rifle, and the folks who collect.

I do agree.30-06 production numbers are most likely higher in the pre 64 rifles. I’m pretty sure the same could be said for Sako and other collectible brands.

Recently I sold two Pre 64 Feathweights. One .270, the other an 06. Condition was very equal. The .270 sold faster and for $150 more. Obviously this all occurred in my neck of the woods. As others have stated, the stock market had a good day and the moon was full….

Hunter

Do you have any full length centerfold shots of this beauty. You are teasing us with all the partial shots.

Hunter

Do you have any full length centerfold shots of this beauty. You are teasing us with all the partial shots.
I'll try to take something better tomorrow.
My 3rd grandson made it home from the hospital today. Complications at birth in Denver. 3 weeks later he's home but doing well
Denver is over 3 hours away so made it difficult.

Well obviously take care of your family and yourself first. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back