• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Son Of Squiggly

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kevinlg

Sako-addicted
It's been over ten years since my original thread......so part two. Stone should like this.

Surely(don't call me Shirley)there are many new members with nice squiggly wood to show......off. So join in.....

I'll start.....with this "The Auction" H&R 317P stock, that was only about 30% carved and had an O'Brien 17MachIV barrelled action clamped into it.
As shown....I had decided to finish the stock, as is. I'll have to check for pics of the completed rifle.

Stock-Holder.jpg

Cool! I'm also intrigued by your stock jig. Please tell us a bit about it and its uses.

Gary

Ps here's some of my semi-squigglies.

Attachments

• 20180728_143816.jpg
    20180728_143816.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 6uxwdyq.jpg
    6uxwdyq.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 54
  • FB_IMG_1604348370066.jpg
    FB_IMG_1604348370066.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210419_160644.jpg
    20210419_160644.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Gary......sweet rifles....and a 17 with sights!

misako50.....the quail and dove around here would be proud, to be hunted by such a fine weapon.

Stock holder specs......approximately.....
1.25" conduit, 1/4-20 all-thread, steel brake-line tubing, misc. nuts/washers, and leather washers.
A pain to put together.......but VERY versatile in use. Especially when applying a "sanded-in" finish.....I like Pilkington's.

A bit of Nils Hultgren trivia.
As many know, in addition to his own business, Nils stocked rifles for both Winslow Arms and Vern O'Brien......and two presentation rifles for the president of H&R, Ted Rowe.

Nils always "signed" his work........at times, camouflaged.
Here's a close-up pic of one of his ebony/ivory inlays, on a Winslow 17-222.
Notice the lower right corner, of the rock that the yote is crawling over..............see it????

17-222-Winslow-Rsewd-Inlay.jpg

Years ago a gun buddy of mine came up with one similar. It had about 2/3 of the grip cap sheered off from a horrific drop or something of that nature. It had similar Ivory engravings. It was a.222 rem I think? I thought hard about the trade we had going but the grip cap and the notion of repairing it was too much for me..Went home with my guns and had bad dreams about it…

gowyo..don’t you just love how the squiggly shows up thru the fine checkering as the light finds it! Nice rifles!

Kevin…the stock jig is ingenious! The bench..doesn’t look like it’s be changed or organized for ever! Of course I’m sure you can probably close your eyes and reach for anything there! Good stuff!

correction: it’s Kevin’s rifle I was commenting on with the squiggles thru the checkering…sorry gowyo

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my favorite field gun. A Beretta.

Sweet shotgun Mike! Not the first amazing firearm that towel has seen! I think “Schmoo” may have laid there once long ago. My son has her now, keeping her safe until his son can use her some day! She is still as gorgeous as the day she came to me…forever grateful.

bloo

Thanks guys, hey, I've got see thru squiggle on mine too! ;) (kinda)

I recall drooling over Winslow rifle pix in the '70's. Masterpieces. Congrats to all that own one or more.

G

Such a great looking rifle. At first I thought I was looking at two rifles and I loved both of them. Looking closer at the picture with the bolt removed, I noticed that lighting made the wood look lighter. Just proves that Sakos are gorgeous no matter the lighting!

A bit of Nils Hultgren trivia.
As many know, in addition to his own business, Nils stocked rifles for both Winslow Arms and Vern O'Brien......and two presentation rifles for the president of H&R, Ted Rowe.

Nils always "signed" his work........at times, camouflaged.
Here's a close-up pic of one of his ebony/ivory inlays, on a Winslow 17-222.
Notice the lower right corner, of the rock that the yote is crawling over..............see it????

Speaking of the late and very great Nils Hultgren, here is a custom Husqvarna .270 which I bought unfired without any provenance. The wood is nice enough, but perhaps doesn't qualify as "squiggly". But the Hultgren stock carving is worth much more than I paid. Check out the increasingly close photos for Hultgren's "signature".

IMG_0153 (1024x188).jpg
IMG_0154 (1024x303).jpg
IMG_0155 (1024x714).jpg

Also not a Sako but a fine Win 1886View attachment 24288
Beautiful wood on that 1886.

Back at you - this one's for you. The Marlin is a .41 Magnum, serial number 0000. I bought it to match the .41 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk with the brass Dragoon frame. The grips on the Ruger were handmade for me in Belize out of Zericote wood. The other Ruger is a Super Single Six. The grips on that one are also from Belize; I think they are rosewood. Both Rugers are unconverted 3-screw.
CCL41-1.JPG CCL41-4.JPG CCL41-6.JPG
Blackhawk 41-2.JPG
Single Six.JPG

Ya know.....although the Sako is pretty nice.......that Winchester 1886 is much nicer than a guy named "marlin" deserves. :) Stunning rifle!!
IceMan's Marlin.......great figure in that buttstock!

Now....for a bit of Vern O'Brien trivia.
I recently rediscovered the two pics below, of his catalog/flyer.
Although in monochrome.....I'm sure there's some qualifying squiggly there....somewhere.
A bit more "rest-of-the-story".........the business address on the flyer??........that's the space location of Vern's double-wide! :)

(edit: Sorry for poor pic quality, but it's an old printer scan of the original.)
(edit2: Click on each pic to enlarge.)

OBrien-Cat-outside.jpg

Obrien-Cat-inside.jpg

Last edited:
I recall seeing that ad or at least a reproduction. As for the brown bear hunting, I'll take the .338 WM Kokotukki. Thank you, thank you very much.

Hi Squiggly!!
Some pics of my squiggly rifles & some stock finishing I have done in the past when I waa much younger. B/T IMG_5586_Momentfinished .jpg .243 spcl. wood.jpg IMG_5659.jpg IMG_58342 sakos #3.jpg

Attachments

• hawkens 203.JPG
    hawkens 203.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Since Sako doesn't make a shotgun (other than a handful of prototypes made for them in Hungary) I guess it's alright to post some squiggly-wooded shotguns.

The first is an "old" SKB company (as opposed to the "New SKB Company") Model 800. The standard grade was a 500, the 600 was an upgrade, and the 700 was the top of the line. The 800 was never cataloged, but apparently a few were made. This one is a three-barreled skeet set, 20, 28, and .410. Note the ivory grip cap to go along with the squiggly wood.

IMG_0156 (1024x391).jpg
IMG_0157 (1024x377).jpg

And this is a Japanese Browning-Winchester Model 12 28 gauge (yes, I have a thing for the little gauges). Not sure where these Japanese companies sourced their walnut, but they did a good job of it.

IMG_0158 (1024x172).jpg
IMG_0159 (1024x368).jpg
IMG_0160 (1024x353).jpg

Ok.....it's been a few days, so here's some squiggly for the weekend.

This one's a Hultgren grade O'Brien in 17 Javelina. Kinda unique, in that the butt stock ivory/ebony inlay was done in relief.........the pig's toes are a little sharp! :)
Obrien17-Jav-HG.jpg

Latest posts

Back