• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Coyote hunts

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stephen novick

Coyote hunts will be coming around the corner soon! I’m sure it kinda started with Rifle seasons already rolling. Post some pics. Man there was a time when I was really addicted to the song dogs.
Missed (5) with calls. It’s tuff animal to shoot.

Coyote hunts look like a lot of fun... closest thing we have here is a fox!
Are they hard to put down with a heavy winter coat?
Skins worth anything these days (restricting calibre and bullet choice) or just any flat shooting cartridge?

Last edited:
They are a hearty critter. If you don't hit the vitals they can and will run forever. 'They can run faster on 3 legs than 4!' A rancher once told me. I am a big fan of using the .17 rem for calling, although I have killed them out to 350 yds with mine. I just got my 6 PPC USA repeater, so I'll have to try out different bullets. I have 1500 67.5 gr Malsby benchrest bullets I picked up from an estate, I'm hoping they work and don't blow up the hide, as they can be worth skinning and stretching!

I've REALLY liked coyote hunting for over four decades now........especially coyote calling.

I guess it's the one-on-one.....mano-a-mano type thing that drives me.
Expecting the unexpected.....and STILL be suprised, almost every time.

A pic from one trip......with an O'Brien 17 Magnum.
Obrien-HB-field.jpg

Our coyotes in the dryer south and southwest of the country aren't as large as those of northern/mountain regions and don't take much "killin". Any .22 centerfire will usually put them right down if the hit is anywhere in the body.

The vast majority that I've taken have been those that happened along while I was deer hunting, but that is coyote shooting, not coyote hunting. Calling them from concealment is a real sport. January through March is probably the most popular time for it after the game seasons have ended, but it can be done year around.

If you can howl with a skip at the end. You’ll get them here in the east. Just sit for 45-50 minute. Don’t move. I think it’s harder to get them with a distress call . They’ve heard them all before.

Headed to Nevada today for a coyote hunt. Shot several over the years with 17 rem. Usually works well but had a few get up and run off after knocking them down. I decided the 22-250 is about perfect while still being fur friendly

Latest posts

Back