• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi Jim!
Hope you & your wife had a wonderful Anniversary, Where does the time Go? Away !!
When I married into the family, if you found a deer track on the farm road you called all the neighbors
to see it! The 1950s were a time after WW-II & Korea, due to shortages in many items like meat the deer population had very poor numbers. As nature is capable of rebounding we saw the increase in numbers, but sadly it seems we couldn't stand success. It seems the feeling that there is always going to be plenty abounds, but we know better. I guess folks feel like the fairy godmother will will send a 12 pointer if we just go hunting. (no, he is the secratary of transportation) Men like Mr. Spaher are the kind that will keep the boat afloat, but we need more of them.
This forum is a blessing, I wish I had found it sooner in life as I have learned so much from the associations members. I'll keep hunting as long as my body lets me, but I have been accused of operating a zoo for looking only. Maybe I'am too selective. I favor letting the mature does live & take the 1-1/2 year old class does. I feel the older does will be more successful in raising young due to experience. Hope I am right. Besides they make a killer venison stew!! Keep well & pray we will survive this perilous time in our history. B/T

Thank you B/T for the kind thoughts. We enjoyed a very nice day of reflections of the blessings and wonderful life we have enjoyed. We hope to see a much brighter future for all of us soon. Sakojim.

Uncle K..she’s a Big’n! Tasty Table Fare for certain! Nicely done my long haired Sako Bro!
I’m thinking about removing the triggers from my hunting rifles to reduce weight..I hardly ever use them while hunting anyways…..bloo

Gowyo, been doing a little research & Crockett County has problems. It is in TPWD Deer Management Unit 4 & has seen a 50% reduction in WT population from estimated 400,000 to 200,000 due to Anthrax. Anthrax can last in the ground for up to 80 years and periodically becomes active in the areas of Kinney, Crockett, Sutton, Edwards, Uvalde Val Verde & N Maverick Counties. Anthrax exists in spore form & activated with hot dry weather after a rainy period, a very general explanation of ideal bacterium triggers.
It is bad stuff & cuts across all age classes, so long term consequences & no immediate recovery. I believe the last cases were found in 2016 & now back in a larger swath of country.
The other area in Texas I recall is in Brooks county and that strain was the one used in 2001 in the “anthrax attacks” obtained from Govt research stockpiles.
A word of caution, humans can get severe illness from contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products. I’d hate to be a taxidermist in the infected area as there is an exposure risk.
I wish I had better news.

Last edited:
Anthrax…go figure!
What about Covid? There was a recent rumor locally that the WT in WV could be infected with Covid 19? Is this possible? I’m not meaning to apply parody to Spaher’s topic of anthrax and ground contamination . It’s not the first time we’ve managed to almost kill an entire species with foolish storage or handling practices concerning hazardous waste management.

On a lighter note…I did not notice any blaze orange masks for sale during the opening of hunting season. There was a small marketing of camo and blaze orange TP, which sold out quite suddenly.

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthrax…go figure!
What about Covid? There was a recent rumor locally that the WT in WV could be infected with Covid 19? Is this possible? I’m not meaning to apply parody to Spaher’s topic of anthrax and ground contamination . It’s not the first time we’ve managed to almost kill an entire species with foolish storage or handling practices concerning hazardous waste management.

On a lighter note…I did not notice any blaze orange masks for sale during the opening of hunting season. There was a small marketing of camo and blaze orange TP, which sold out quite suddenly.

bloo
The deer here are refusing to get vaccinated because there is a micro chip in the vaccine that allows hunters to track them on their cell phones. The hunters can only buy the App through Bass Pro or Cabela's because they paid off the game departments. Plus the the Game Wardens get paid extra by the Feds for every deer that "reportedly" dies from the Covid. I saw all this on PETA's Face Book page, so it must be true.

Barbed wire hang ups aren’t too bad if you have a hunting buddy you trust well enough to get things unsnagged while you hold both rifles…o_O
Bloo

Barbed wire hang ups aren’t too bad if you have a hunting buddy you trust well enough to get things unsnagged while you hold both rifles…o_O
Bloo
I only speak from experience. Pheasant hunting was just a little different. They would flush when I was trying to relieve myself. Zippers are not your friend, when that happens.

The deer here are refusing to get vaccinated because there is a micro chip in the vaccine that allows hunters to track them on their cell phones. The hunters can only buy the App through Bass Pro or Cabela's because they paid off the game departments. Plus the the Game Wardens get paid extra by the Feds for every deer that "reportedly" dies from the Covid. I saw all this on PETA's Face Book page, so it must be true.
Actually, that is hilarious. Only fun stuff I hear from the "veggies". They can't be all bad.....they were selling hotdogs one year at a protest. (not kidding).

Anthrax…go figure!

bloo
Wow! A new Floorplate Engraving, perhaps? Call it " Hunter in the Covid Woods" That will keep your fertile mind busy.

Bloo, Sako harvested backstrap better than most Steakhouses & a Dunkel to pair. Every year anticipation to enjoy the outdoors & the harvest. Cheers!

Attachments

• C9C2AA7B-BC21-47A0-90A3-32E72DB96C77.jpeg
    C9C2AA7B-BC21-47A0-90A3-32E72DB96C77.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 006F6A74-7DF7-4348-9D59-B27B9EB2DC08.jpeg
    006F6A74-7DF7-4348-9D59-B27B9EB2DC08.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back