• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

"All Original"

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Many of us have vented over inaccurate/misleading/made-up descriptions, along with outright lies told by the would-be sellers of Sakos. Well, venting here doesn't do much good other than as an outlet for our steam to be released.

There is a Sako Mannlicher on a "for sale" site (I won't link to it to do anyone a disservice) which is misrepresented in several ways. First, it claims that the firearm is "all original". To the contrary, it is missing its sight hood, has a pad added, and has the rear sling swivel replaced with a stud. Hardly "all original". Next, the seller proclaims it to have been produced in a certain year. Its serial number is visible, so when checked against the records it was actually produced two years later.

Not that it is not a desirable rifle. I own one which has been modified in similar ways and would not consider letting it go. But to represent it as a certain vintage and as having no modifications is very unhelpful to the general buying public.

There! I feel much better now!

Many of us have vented
Yes, including myself. I wholeheartedly believe pointing out discrepancies (whether unintended or otherwise) is an extremely helpful function for myself and many other members. I’ve been lucky to have owned many Sako rifles in my years of collecting, however, I’m still at times not as knowledgeable as I’d like to be regarding the early vintage rifles, and carbines. So to have members with the breadth of knowledge available here to provide feedback - is simply another tool to help continue to educate folks such as myself. Thanks

Many of the incorrect descriptions we see are the result of ignorance about Sakos. The common gun-price reference works (Blue Book, etc.) are major sources of misinformation.

A year or two ago I bought a gorgeous wing-safety L46 in .222 from a guy in Illinois who advertised it on Guns International as an L61R. It was his first and only Sako, and he said the guy who sold it to him had told him that was the model number. Now, an L61R chambered in .222 would have been a very rare item - but it was really an L46.

Well, Winchester used to chamber the Model 70 in .22 Hornet, so in light of that an L61R in .222 seems somehow less of a stretch:D. I've been watching a Sako "L48" on Gunbroker, wondering if I had overlooked something in Sako's history.

I'm still looking for one of the incredibly rare Sakos imported by "Rymack" according to the "Blue Book". Turns out that the Blue Book author was corrupting "Riihimaki" and assuming that was the import mark. Brilliant folks.

Latest posts

Back