• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Check Your Action Screws!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
Here's a great example of what happens when you let your action screws (particularly the front one) get loose. Wood drys and shrinks, so you should make a habit of checking the tension on them at least once a year. And always check a newly acquired rifle before shooting it.

(Photo lifted from Gunbroker)
pix571485510.jpg

Ouch! I've been watching that gun. I thought about bidding but fixing the stock would be too much work, L57 stocks aren't exactly easy to find, and the last thing I need is another project gun. As of the time of posting, it has a couple of hours to go and the bid is around $450. Not a bad deal if you happen to have an L57 stock lying around.

A useful reminder for all of us.

Geeze, that's horrid. I've learned to clean thoroughly any new to me rifle before shooting, so that includes a take down and reassembly. My learning rifle was an AII .243. I didn't take it down as it was spotless, I ran a bore snake thru it and went to the range. I tried various loads and kept getting 1.5-2" groups w diagonal stringing. I checked the scope mounts and was pulling on the bbl when I noticed an almost imperceptible movement. I took up 1/2 turn on that front screw and a 1/2" shooter appeared.
That was 10+ years and 10+ rifles ago. I have found other loose actions.

Gary

Geeze, that's horrid. I've learned to clean thoroughly any new to me rifle before shooting, so that includes a take down and reassembly. My learning rifle was an AII .243. I didn't take it down as it was spotless, I ran a bore snake thru it and went to the range. I tried various loads and kept getting 1.5-2" groups w diagonal stringing. I checked the scope mounts and was pulling on the bbl when I noticed an almost imperceptible movement. I took up 1/2 turn on that front screw and a 1/2" shooter appeared.
That was 10+ years and 10+ rifles ago. I have found other loose actions.
Gary

I had the same experience with an L579 Deluxe .243. It had always exhibited razor-edge accuracy, but when I took it out to check it at the bench after a couple of years sitting in the safe it was scattering its shots around the target in a very disappointing manner. A quick turn of the action screws immediately restored its accuracy. But if it had been a .300 magnum I might have been looking at a cracked tang.

Back