• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello from Japan.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Tatsuo

Hello from Japan.

At the end of last year, my friend gave me Sako AV (.300WinMag).
I arrived at this page while searching for information on this rifle on the net.
In Japan, where gun control is strict, very few people have guns.
So I'm always struggling to get the knowledge and supplies of guns.
It is very helpful because I can get detailed information here.

I have had a gun in Japan for 13 years
For 10 years, I was playing clay pigeon shooting with a shotgun.
After that, I started to hunt deer with a rifle.
(Browning BAR MK3 is mainly used for deer hunting)
In Japan, you can't have a gun without a legal purpose (competition or hunting).

I haven't shot this Sako AV yet.
I'm thinking of practicing and using it for hunting soon.

I'm not very good at English. I often use translation software.
Sometimes I write strange sentences, but laugh and forgive me.

IMG_6056.jpg IMG_6046.JPG

Last edited:
Hi from Australia Tatsuo, your rifle is a ‘deluxe’ model going by the stock configuration. It should also have an engraved floor plate.

A nice German made Zeiss scope too.

I assume you will be hunting Sika ?

You have a great friend and welcome to the club.
Your rifle looks like a deluxe model, very nice!
There is a wealth of knowledge on this site if you have enough time and curiosity to suss it out.
Don’t worry about your English no one here will be judging you.

I assume you will be hunting Sika ?[/QUOTE]
Hi from Australia Tatsuo, your rifle is a ‘deluxe’ model going by the stock configuration. It should also have an engraved floor plate.

A nice German made Zeiss scope too.

I assume you will be hunting Sika ?

>deersako
Yes, my rifle is an AV deluxe model.
I knew it at this club

This rifle hasn't been used for a long time by a friend.
I disassembled and cleaned as much as possible.
The condition of the rifle is very good,
but the scope lens is a little cloudy with some mold inside.
A little disappointing part.

that's right! I hunt Sika. And sometimes wild boars.
I live in central Japan (Kanagawa prefecture in western Tokyo).
It is a little smaller than the Sika in northern Japan and lives in the mountains.

You have a great friend and welcome to the club.
Your rifle looks like a deluxe model, very nice!
There is a wealth of knowledge on this site if you have enough time and curiosity to suss it out.
Don’t worry about your English no one here will be judging you.

>Unclekax
I got a lot of information about this rifle at the club. Thankful.

It is very difficult to qualify for a rifle in Japan.
Therefore, few people can buy a rifle.
(Probably about 1 in 5000 people have a rifle in Japan)
The sale price of used rifles is very low because the demand for rifles is very low.
Also, it's difficult to have a lot of guns, so when you buy a new one, you have to give up something.
So my best friend gave me. :)
I gave a custom knife as a thank you to my friend
I will take good care of this rifle

It may be a good business if we can easily export and sell Japanese used guns overseas.
(But it requires very complicated steps, and the number of transactions is very small)

Last edited:
Great to have you as a new member from Japan! And your English is better than a lot of Americans;).

I was aware that it is very difficult for a private person to own a gun in Japan. You are fortunate to qualify for ownership.

It seems ironic that some of the most prolific producers of firearms are in Japan -- Howa and Miroku. Howa makes and sells rifles under its own name as well as for Weatherby. Howa once made an exact copy of the Sako Finnbear, and Howa's current line of rifle actions is said to have descended from the Sako design. Miroku makes rifles and shotguns for Browning and others. Olin-Kodensu may also still be in business. They made the excellent Winchester 101 for many years.

Great to have you as a new member from Japan! And your English is better than a lot of Americans;).

I was aware that it is very difficult for a private person to own a gun in Japan. You are fortunate to qualify for ownership.

It seems ironic that some of the most prolific producers of firearms are in Japan -- Howa and Miroku. Howa makes and sells rifles under its own name as well as for Weatherby. Howa once made an exact copy of the Sako Finnbear, and Howa's current line of rifle actions is said to have descended from the Sako design. Miroku makes rifles and shotguns for Browning and others. Olin-Kodensu may also still be in business. They made the excellent Winchester 101 for many years.

>stonecreek
I'm glad to meet you too.

You know a lot about Japanese firearm makers.
Unfortunately, many Japanese do not know that many firearms are made in Japan.

Howa produces many firearms for the Japanese Self-Defense Forces.
Miroku shotguns are popular with Japanese clay pigeon shooters.
(It's difficult to have a rifle in Japan, but a shotgun is a little easier. Most Japanese gun owners have a shotgun.)
Olin was once popular, but now it's closed.
Olin is known in Japan under the brand name "Nikko".
I often see the old gun at the clay pigeon shooting site in Japan.

And there is another excellent company. Light Optical Works
The company's name is not well known, but it is an OEM manufacturer of scopes under many global brand names.
If the scope is engraved with "Made in Japan", it is a product of Light Optical Works.

Last edited:
Olin is known in Japan under the brand name "Nikko".
I often see the old gun at the clay pigeon shooting site in Japan.
In addition to its O/U shotguns, Nikko marketed a rifle in the U.S. under the name "Golden Eagle". They were quite nice, though a bit heavy, and still have a small but dedicated following among American riflemen.

The big Japanese scope manufacturer for many years was Hakko. They made scopes for many different American brands and even made a scope branded and sold under the Sako name. Perhaps Hakko has since been absorbed into some other corporate conglomerate?

In addition to its O/U shotguns, Nikko marketed a rifle in the U.S. under the name "Golden Eagle". They were quite nice, though a bit heavy, and still have a small but dedicated following among American riflemen.

The big Japanese scope manufacturer for many years was Hakko. They made scopes for many different American brands and even made a scope branded and sold under the Sako name. Perhaps Hakko has since been absorbed into some other corporate conglomerate?

>stonecreek

You are more knowledgeable than most Japanese shooters!

In fact, Howa does not sell civilian rifles in Japan, only exports.
I haven't seen a Howa rifle in Japan yet.
In Japan, the demand for rifles is low, so we often choose products from famous manufacturers.
Japanese shooters don't like the ones from minor manufacturers. Because it is difficult to get support in case of trouble and custom knowledge.
Remington and Sako make up the majority.

Hakko seems to have gone bankrupt in 2005.
I've seen bankruptcy products sold cheaply before.
Most of the cheap scopes sold in Japan are made in China.
Nikon scopes have long been manufactured in the Philippines.
Only Light Optical Works may be manufactured in Japan.

Latest posts

Back