• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

This Will Break Your Heart

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

...... I guess I am wondering what year was 7 RM more popular than 7x57? 1967?....

Like Stone says, it was definitely later than 1967. I remember hearing about Sako producing 7x57 and 220 Swift starting in the mid 70's, but I don't remember seeing them until around 1980 at the Houston Gun Show. I don't remember the exact date, but there was a dealer by the name of Ramsey that sold a lot of Sakos at the Houston show. He definitely had the 7x57, 280 and 220 Swift. Here's the earliest Sako (Garcia) catalog from 75 that showed them in the Model 74. A couple years later they showed up as available in the Sporters and Deluxes.
Sako Cat. 1975.jpg SakoCat. 1975.jpg

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918912805 another example, originally in 7 x 64
Oh! Another punch to the gut! What could someone possibly have been thinking? But, hey, it does have a muzzle blast intensifying device on the front of the barrel. Louder always kills better, you know.

This one would have required (1) rebore, (2) rechamber (3) open bolt face (4) modify feed rails, and (5) thread for muzzle device. Each step cost between $$ and $$$ and devalued the rifle by approximately the same amount. Brilliant move.

Doug2, Thanks so much for the 1976 catalog listing the 7X57 offering in the model 74 Super Sporter. I had not seen this before to confirm their limited availability and period.

I was fortunate to have found one in the Deluxe version with correct barrel stampings, etc.

Last edited:
I would love to find a 7X57 Sako even if it is a model 74. I just think it is a very pleasant caliber to shoot. I am lucky enough to have a very nice FN Belgian Mauser in 7X57 that shoots great. Was lucky enough to take a few deer with it and most with gas checked lead home brews.
In strong modern bolt guns it can do anything the newer 7-08 can do, and maybe better.

Stone creek, I don't know, typically, when a gun is rechambered, the old chambering is stuck out or ground off. That looks like it still is a 7X57, so much so that I'd be willing to gamble $500 on it, If it is rechambered to 7mm Rem Mag, it could become a 416 Taylor since the value is ruined. However, I think it may in fact still be a 7X57 which I have wanted for a LONG time (along with a 416......)
Anyway I registered and bid, only to be immediatly over bid, and again, and again. No reserve but someone has a way over the top price on that and someone was bid a ridiculous amount so the gun does not go for less than what someone thinks it's worth.
I bought a 243 at auction like that once, bidding started at $200, some lady in the audience was bidding against me until it got to $450 then she stopped, then the auctionier said I can't let this go for less than $500 - it's a $1300 gun. I said I'll go 500 but you should have started the bidding at $500....

Can you contact the seller? Ask them to double check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greyfox: Look closely at the photos. You can see (and almost read) non-factory stamping on the RH side of the barrel which appears to indicate the rechambering. Without being able to inspect it in person I would believe the auction company description.

The current bid on Proxibid is $500 as of 3-1-22 at 10:20 EST. Perhaps you are looking at it on some other platform where the bids are higher.

Greyfox, see attached per Stonecreek, I read “7MM REM MAG”. With that red flag, do you really want a rechambered rifle in a not uncommon caliber.
If it were not for this I’d be in the mix as I like the 7x57 as a classic efficient round from 1892.

Greyfox: Look closely at the photos. You can see (and almost read) non-factory stamping on the RH side of the barrel which appears to indicate the rechambering. Without being able to inspect it in person I would believe the auction company description.

The current bid on Proxibid is $500 as of 3-1-22 at 10:20 EST. Perhaps you are looking at it on some other platform where the bids are higher.

I see that now, Bidding was $300 so I went 350, immediately went to 400 so I went 450, immediately went 500 Wondering where it ends? 500 - 700 fo rthe action and stock alone and a rebarrel to 416 Taylor?

Or conversely , wait for a .416 Rigby or Rem to come up & have an original rifle without having to having issues with ammo on a Taylor(?) & a rechambered rifle with little prospect of ever getting rebarreling, decelerated pad, etc & acquisition cost back?
If want rebarrel, perhaps a 7x57 rather than a.416
And possib a carbon fiber barrel???

But I WANT a Taylor and have a week to watch this one, see where it goes..

IF that one is converted to 7mm rem Mag, then the bolt face was opened and it's not going back to 7X57.

I'd like to get my hands on it, so a week to contemplate and see where hte bidding goes....

the only car I ever crashed was my mother's '67 Beaumont when I was 15 years old, on a beginner's license. it handled so nicely that I was pretending to be Jackie Stewart just before driving it into a tree, totalling it. not a scratch on me but I vomited at the scene.

I just bought online a "pretty, but pricey" (to quote old hippie) A111 finnbear deluxe in 7 rem mag, without ever having fired one round of that caliber in the past from any gun. so, as I await the arrival of this new gun, would anyone care to let me know why 7 rem mag seems negatively regarded on this forum?

wikipedia has nothing but praise for it.

would anyone care to let me know why 7 rem mag seems negatively regarded on this forum?
I’d say there’s a good number of folks here who also support and use the round extensively. The cartridge is a classic round and has been so for many years.

Some believe it’s overkill for various tasks, like many lower 48 deer hunting scenarios, and maybe so, but it’s an awesome open country round for many hunting tasks. Some don’t care for the muzzle blast, but some believe it’s manageable and aren’t worried about it.

It’s my advice, if you’re not well schooled on the round and it’s capabilities, you should be. The versatility simply cannot be denied.

The round has literally thousands articles and data in support, as well ass, the articles which do not. Opinion are like a$$-ho)£s, everyone has one….Enjoy your rifle without reservations.

Latest posts

Back