• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

AII 7mm-08

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

barreltwister

Just how rare are these?

I have one enroute to me in a walnut stock with sights. I had one without sights in a FibreClass about 20 years ago. The only FC I've seen that was not an AV. In retrospect I should have kept it as a FC in 7-08 must be quite rare.

Every piece of info I come across says they are "rare" which can mean different things but no info on numbers made seems to be out there.

I do not believe they are rare. I have owned 3 of them over the last 20 years. All deluxes. Like a lot of rifles they disappear for awhile then 2 or 3 become available. Right now, they are infrequent.

I'd say pretty rare, I've never run across one in the wild, especially with sights. If I'd seen it first it would coming to me! ;) Of course Rocky is going to sell me his Super deluxe after he rubs off the bluing... please post pix after you get it. Keep me in mind if it doesn't trip your trigger...that's right, I have no shame...edit- nm, you're in Canada...

7mm-08 in Fiberclass? I’ve never seen one available & rare in my op, but one in a Super Deluxe would be impossible to not acquire, thus a significant increased value to those that prize this caliber…

I’ve not seen a Sako 7-08. But I’m taking a 579 action and having it rebarreled from 243 to 7-08. Am getting a Shilen barrel.

Interesting Sako action & story on 7mm from Oregon. Last year saw a Sako listed as 7mm Cascade Express with Redfield scope & possibly a 7mm-08 out of Oregon. Stock was extremely nice but odd serial #, GO 359, a AV RH. No one interested & I got as only bidder for stock &/or action value, meaning cheap enough to gamble & if a wildcat I could rebarrel. Tried researching 7mm Cascade Express and found nothing.
Stonecreek later verified the serial numbers as a special run of 500 Sako’s in .280 for the NW US mkt. Rem originally called their .280 a 7mm Express but had a name change after initial run.
So, I tried chambering various bullets & only one that worked was the 7mm-08 & not the .280. I was going to cast the chamber(?) but since a 7mm barrel & 7mm-08 fit I figured that if fired any deformity would show or explain if anything but a 7mm-.308. I remote fired with sandbags as a precaution & turns out there were no changes to the case & is indeed a 7mm-08. I removed the action & found “APPLEGATE” stamp on bottom of barrel, a Rob Applegate in Oregon apparently did the rebarreling. I’d like to find the original .280 barrel to remate the fairly rare rifle. So I put a 3.5-10x40 Leupold with a modified German Post to see what rifle does as the Redfield 6x scope w/post reticle it came with is impossible to focus. Range trial awaits. C18CCD5A-8723-408F-902A-4F2B03F47329.jpeg 778E2485-7720-4A64-9659-EDE522CD592C.jpeg FC5F8BB0-FE9A-4967-92C1-82477647DF96.jpeg 034A352B-CA2D-45BC-B925-6B9D4BD98A03.jpeg F83A3CE4-7667-445A-9148-6DA9018942E2.jpeg A2D8CFF0-36FA-419A-9962-604B43DE92E3.png FF66AFBB-84C8-401B-8379-EAD4A6F8AF9B.png

Last edited:
APPLEGATE” stamp on bottom of barrel, a Rob Applegate in Oregon
Rob Applegate was fairly well known locally here a number of years ago. He apparently and from memory was a Savage 99 fancier, and love quarter bores. Yoncalla Oregon is about 30 miles south of my home. It obviously would be a miracle to find the original barrel.

Coincidentally I’ve owned/own a couple of the Sako GO rifles in .280 Rem. Lore has it, they were sold here in the NW. I bought one many years ago locally, and one from an estate more recently. Best to you.
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-av-280-remington.14103/

Last edited:
That fantastic stock is from a Sako Classic and is not the original GO Wholesale stock (those had the regular Monte Carlo "Hunter-style" stocks). It's a beautiful and highly desirable rifle, regardless of its customization.

If it is accurate then keeping it as it is isn't a bad alternative. I've heard of deer that will shrug off a 140 grainer out of a 7mm/08, but die on the spot from the same bullet out of a .280 Rem. However, they are only the deer which have access to the internet and thus understand the difference in 100 fps velocity, so you don't run across them too often.:D

Arrived a few days ago. In pretty nice shape.
I removed the Millets and mounted a VX-I 3-9X in Burris bases and Leupold rings.
Rear sight was gone and I removed the front sight.
The Hawkeye shows a mint bore and the throat shows very little wear. Has not been shot much at all.
I have had many 7-08's through here and always have dies and brass so we'll see how it shoots.
DHDe1ZP.jpg

mogrKKr.jpg

c0iMO2L.jpg

bA2R3xR.jpg

20Eq27P.jpg

Actually the one out of Flynns in new Jersey was an A2, they had it misidentified in their ad. I spoke with the vendor about the markings on the receiver. Boxed rifle too.

Nothing beautiful like that wood and blued rifle above. I ordered an M75 stainless in 7-08 9 months before they were available here in the states. I still have it and my son's claimed it upon my passing.
The chamber leade is VERY long. The best group I got from higher quality Federal, Winchester, and Hornady was 2 3/8" at 100 yards. I got reload equipment, loaded rounds within 0.010" off the lands and they were ~1/4" longer than any of the factory ammo. They produced a 5 round 3/8" group, and I was hooked on handloads.

Latest posts

Back