222 Sako Riihimaki needs bolt fix

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by hardball, Apr 10, 2021.

1. hardball

hardball Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Found a 222 Sako that the bolt opens real hard at the start of the lift. You can see what vintage from the pictures of the bolt head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems the camming diagonal has a hitch and is damaged at noticable rough areas. The nose of the cocking piece looks OK to me. Is there a fix? Is there a possible replacement bolt body?

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    I looked in the safe to see if I had a spare L46 Bolt in there but I remembered that I sold my last one several months ago. I don't think your bolt can be salvaged so my best advice is to keep trying to find a replacement. They do come on the market from time to time but you will need to keep checking. There aren't any on Ebay at this time but there are two sellers on Guns International might have one. Both will want an arm and a leg but to get your rifle back into commission it might be worth it. Send me a PM and I'll tell you about the dealers that might be able to help you out.

rick

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  3. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    I have had some success cleaning up dents and galling on the cocking cam by carefully polishing away with one of those Arkansas stones you get from Brownells. Can't hurt to try? Well.. unless the nose of the cocking piece snaps off next.

4. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    It looks like the Custom Shop has everything you need to recover the L46. It might be worth your while to give them a buzz just to see what they have and how much the would want for the parts.

rick