85 Grey Wolf Question

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Umpqua, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Umpqua

Umpqua Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hi, just have a question to those of you who may own a 85 Grey Wolf. I recently purchased one used and noticed it has a small metal "spacer" between the stock and the action at the tang. It's a small semi-circle and is not permanently attached.

Talked to a couple folks that said the 85's should not have this but it's just got me confused, any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Although I don’t own a gray wolf, I currently own four other 85 model rifles. I’ve had a few others as well. None have had any spacers installed between the tang and stock, or anywhere else.

My guess, but just a guess, is the rear guard screw was rubbing the bolt and the spacer was employed to provide relief. Take it out and tighten up the screws, then see how it operates. In any event, it most likely should not be there.

3. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Sako used shims or spacers for various applications, mostly to provide even fitting with bottom metal and stock levels. There was also a time when they used them underneath the action to provide clearance, possibly to elevate the action and barrel to a free floating condition. Be sure to put them back where you found them.

bloo

marlin92 and Unclekax like this.