A2 varmint in .308

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by gowyo, Nov 6, 2016.

1. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Howdy all,
    I just received my new to me A2. very clean, metal is immaculate and hard to discern if its been fired much. The stock has a couple of dings. The fun part when I got the gun was discovering that it had a benchrest style trigger with the external adjustment holes in the trigger guard. Also, there's no import stamp! I contacted the seller and he told me he bought it from a gentleman who brought it back from Germany when he was stationed there. I'm thinking this is kind of a unique set-up, a repeating varminter with a BR trigger; was this setup marketed in the US?
    Thanks,
    Gary

susanna and jimmymac like this.

2. sakolou

sakolou Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nevada
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Congrats!

Coincidentally, today I scored an AII varmint chambered for 22-250 at our local cabelas. I'd rate it at 95%. It's perfect except couple minor marks on the top of the barrel near the muzzle, the wood is perfect and bore looks new. It also came with Harris bipod, medium, original Sako rings and Leupold Vari XIII 6.5-20x40 AO. Didn't need it, but for $1070 for the package, I could let it go. If I don't flip it at the next show, I'll probably keep it for a bit.

3. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Howdy Lou,

Nice grab! I'd have had to buy it too! Yours is a bit older of an AII than mine. I have the smooth bolt and MC style stock sans cheekpiece w/ wundhammer swell. I put a 4.5 x 14 x 40 LR Leupold on it. It has the B&C reticle, so I'll see how that bears out. I gave $850 shipped for mine. Have 425 tied up in the scope/Optilocks. I'm actually going to the range for a bit before the sun drops tonight. First calm day in a while.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. Webphut

Webphut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Nice! Yeah the AII Varmint 308 is on my wish list too. I seen one a few months back on gun broker, but it was L591 version and I am only into the A series actions. SWEET!

5. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That is my next rifle. Did any of the Sako AII Varmint in 308 Win. ever come off the production line with the adjustable match target trigger and rubber butt pad like some of the .223 Rem. and .243 Win.? I have both of these and I love em! They are just so sweet. I know they are heavier, but I rather pack around the extra weight than give up the accuracy loss due to overheating the barrel.

6. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Howdy Webphut,

I had not seen one before (.308), but I have seen .223 repeater varminters with the BR trigger. I was ignorant of the fact that this one had it until I unwrapped the box. LUCKY! This rifle was a bring back from Germany, so I really can't say that Stoeger imported this particular set up. I can say that this configuration was how it was originally sold per the seller.

Good luck on your quest. If I see another, I'll let you know...maybe...;)

Gary

PS my quest is an A1 6mm PPC with iron sights (sporter model obviously)

7. Webphut

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    yeah, that is the exact rifle I will be hunting down here next few months to add to my Sako A series Varmint collection. It was not until you posted your responce back to me in last post, that I realized your rifle does have the match trigger. Well that answers that question then. I know unfired ones pop up, because the two Varmint models I have, were unfired when I received them, so I know they are out there. Lucky you, got one of the .308's with a match trigger. Hopefully when the time comes, I will find an AII Varmint in .308 Win. with the match trigger.

Have you found a load for it since you got the rifle? I am still working on figuring out loads for both my Varmints. My .243 Win. likes 90 grain Nosler BT with IMR 4350. Im going to fudge around with the combination and figure out how to tighten my group size up a bit more. It shoots .625" five shot groups, but that is at 100 yards, so I would like to tighten up a bit more. Everything else groups from 1.25" up to 2.5" with one or two shots way off the beaten path.

8. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Hi Web,
    Not yet on load development. I took it on a deer hunt, and on the last evening of the season we did some rock busting with some old ammo I had laying about for an AR-10T that I no longer own. I have a large amount of Sierra 168 bthp and 155 palmas lying about, so I hope it takes to those. I also have some 125 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips that the Armalite loved. Enough variety in the cabinet that I should be able to narrow it down this Spring and Summer.

9. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
  10. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Found this old thread. Here is my son putting the rifle thru its paces in Raton a couple years ago.

kevinlg likes this.