AIII restoration finally done

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by sakorick, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    You darn right I do! I would try IMR4064 or RL15 as they are just about right next to each other on the burn chart. I would never start with a max load. Start with a moderate load and work up slowly.....take your time. You may find the perfect barrel timing node on your way up. In my world, accuracy is better than speed....the dead deer or critter doesn't know the difference between 2875 and 2950'/sec! Regards, Rick.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    That 69 grain bullet with require at least a 1 in 9 twist to stabilize, especially at the diminished velocity the 222 is capable of pushing it. Your L461 is a 1 in 14 in 222 Rem, if I recall correctly. Don't waste your time & powder. Stick with 55 grainers & lighter. In fact you may have trouble stabilizing the much longer 55 gr. plastic tipped bullets in a 14 twist at 222 velocities. The cup & core 55's should be OK! My best performance with the 222 comes with 37 & 40 grain bullets in a L46 with a 16 twist.

3. David_S

David_S Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Rick, that is a beautiful job you have done there. But how can you even contemplate going hunting with it for fear of scratching that finish? - David

4. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    incredible job !!!

5. RANE

RANE Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Yes I think I`ll do as you advised...you are 2nd person to do that.I just loaded 40 rounds with 40 gr Nosler Ballistic tips..
    fire formed Lapua cases..neck turned, 5 thou off the lands.Can`t wait to get to the range.Here in Northern Alberta
    The winter `s still hanging on but not much longer.
    I`m going to donate those 69 gr bullets to someone & concentrate to 40-52 grainers.Thanks Poulsonconstruction,
    Good shooting
    RANE

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  6. RANE

RANE Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    CA Alberta
    Rick,That's correct...I`m not after high velocities but accuracy.After this damn long winter let go a bit
    I will post some reports.I`ll be shooting my L461 deluxe which I brought back from Finland last summer.
    See how it will do...I have high expectations.....Thanks &
    Good shooting
    RANE

7. possum

possum Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
    That looks AWESOME, Great job

8. sakorick

sakorick Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    No biggie....I'll use it, shoot it and scratch it up. If it ever gets rough looking, I'll refinish it again! Regards, Rick.

Thanks to all for the kudos, however, it's not that hard to master. You spray and sand, spray and sand until it looks good and presto you're done! I use Truoil spray for high gloss and Brownells Gunsav'r hunter satin for semi gloss and 5 sheets of 3M 400 sandpaper. Regards, Rick.