"All Original"

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by stonecreek, Dec 2, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Many of us have vented over inaccurate/misleading/made-up descriptions, along with outright lies told by the would-be sellers of Sakos. Well, venting here doesn't do much good other than as an outlet for our steam to be released.

There is a Sako Mannlicher on a "for sale" site (I won't link to it to do anyone a disservice) which is misrepresented in several ways. First, it claims that the firearm is "all original". To the contrary, it is missing its sight hood, has a pad added, and has the rear sling swivel replaced with a stud. Hardly "all original". Next, the seller proclaims it to have been produced in a certain year. Its serial number is visible, so when checked against the records it was actually produced two years later.

Not that it is not a desirable rifle. I own one which has been modified in similar ways and would not consider letting it go. But to represent it as a certain vintage and as having no modifications is very unhelpful to the general buying public.

There! I feel much better now!

2. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Yes, including myself. I wholeheartedly believe pointing out discrepancies (whether unintended or otherwise) is an extremely helpful function for myself and many other members. I’ve been lucky to have owned many Sako rifles in my years of collecting, however, I’m still at times not as knowledgeable as I’d like to be regarding the early vintage rifles, and carbines. So to have members with the breadth of knowledge available here to provide feedback - is simply another tool to help continue to educate folks such as myself. Thanks

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Many of the incorrect descriptions we see are the result of ignorance about Sakos. The common gun-price reference works (Blue Book, etc.) are major sources of misinformation.

A year or two ago I bought a gorgeous wing-safety L46 in .222 from a guy in Illinois who advertised it on Guns International as an L61R. It was his first and only Sako, and he said the guy who sold it to him had told him that was the model number. Now, an L61R chambered in .222 would have been a very rare item - but it was really an L46.

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well, Winchester used to chamber the Model 70 in .22 Hornet, so in light of that an L61R in .222 seems somehow less of a stretch:D. I've been watching a Sako "L48" on Gunbroker, wondering if I had overlooked something in Sako's history.

I'm still looking for one of the incredibly rare Sakos imported by "Rymack" according to the "Blue Book". Turns out that the Blue Book author was corrupting "Riihimaki" and assuming that was the import mark. Brilliant folks.