• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Anonther I am not sure what I have here question

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Shooter75

2qntjwj.jpg

2im6ig.jpg

e9f1wm.jpg

This is an A-II action rifle that is 37 1/2 inches from the butt to the muzzle. The barrel measures 17 1/2 inches from the front of the action to the muzzle. I am not aware that Sako made any rifles with barrels that short. Including the chamber, the barrel is likely to be 18 1/2 inches. The stock is obviously custom and not factory. It is chambered in 7mm-08.

The story told to me by the seller is that he wanted his wife to go on a safari with him, so he had the rifle made up for her. The LOP is 13 1/2 inches and the cartridge it is chambered for are reasonable for that purpose. He says when she got to Africa, she shot one zebra and then refused to leave camp complaining that it was hot, dusty, the safari vehicle was rough riding, and she wanted to go home. When the guy returned home, he put her rifle up for sale because she said she would never go hunting again. It's a good story, but I don't know if any of it is true.

Maybe some of you boys can tell me what I have here. Whatever it is, it sure shoots REALLY GOOD!!! I have shot five different reloads in it using 140, and 160 grain Nosler and 120 grain Barnes bullets with IMR-4350 and H-380 powders and every one was an inch or less, one was 1/2 and one was 3/8 inch @ 100 yards. It's a keeper, but what the heck is it? It all looks custom to me. Maybe the story I was told is true?? What do yawl think?

Last edited:
Without being able to read any of the stampings on the barrel it's impossible to tell if the barrel is factory or aftermarket. Stock is definitely a custom. Barrel length is measured boltface to muzzle. Sako factory AII Mannlinchers had around 20" barrels or the metric equivalent. Beautiful custom rifle built on a Sako action that anyone would be happy to have.

The only marking on the barrel is on the left side where the chambering is usually marked and it is marked 7mm-08 Rem. There are no other markings at all. The barrel and action are fully glass bedded. Like I said, it sure shoots good. I am thinking this thing was made up on a Sako A-II action and everything else on it is custom. It sure came out nice and I am well pleased with it.

THANKS for your reply. It's always nice to be validated about what you suspect, but are not completely sure about.

Roger that Rick. I had Georgia Gun Maker Roger Ferrell check it out yesterday and he says the barrel is a Shilen and that whoever built the rifle spared no effort to make it. He says it is some the best, well fitted inletting he has seen. Roger has built two single shot rifles for me ( One Ruger No. 1 and one Browning Hi Wall) and we used Shilen barrels with Conetrol Custum bases and rings with Leupold scopes on both of them. If you ever need a really good gunsmith, Roger is one of the best in the south eastern USA. Here is a link to a story about one of the rifles he made. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/featured_rifles_special_hornet_122010/
He is a good guy and you can trust what he says. He will not steer you wrong. BTW, he also does excellent stock and checkering work, but the Riflemakers Guild wanted to feature work by multiple members on the rifles for raffle, so Al Lind made the stock for that one.

All the best to you.

Last edited:
Fayetteville, Georgia. If I remember correctly, he is at 130 White Oak Court. His phone number as of November 2014, which is the last time he built a rifle for me, was 770-460-0533. If he is like me, I've had about three different phone numbers since then cause every time they come out with a new phone, my wife buys one for me and changes my dang number. And I haven't even learned how to operate tha last one yet. I just know where Roger is and don't pay attention to the address or street name. You can find him on Mapquest, or by Google, or Yellow Pages, or Yelp in Georgia, or on the American Rifle Maker's Guild home page on the Internet here -->>https://www.acgg.org/ . And Here -->>https://www.corporationwiki.com/Wyoming/Cody/american-custom-gunmakers-guild-inc/32047103.aspx. Roger is the treasurer and a director of that organization. Go to Google and type in Roger Ferrell, Fayetteville, GA and see what comes up. Go to mapquest and type in 130 White Oak Court, Fayetteville, GA 30214 and it'll draw a map from where you are to his house, tell you how far it is from your location, and give you an estimate of how long it'll take to drive there.

Here -->> https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...single-shot-rifle-30-wcf.cfm?gun_id=100830741 is another link to some of his work. Roger only does real rust blueing in his shop, but he has a nearby shop that does any Nitre blueing you may want. His rust blueing is about as tuff and wear resistant finish as you will find. Many high grade ccommercial gun finishes were rust blue before WWII. Take a look at it and see what you think about it. I love it on my rifles. It's been on my Ruger No. 1 .338 Win. Mag. for the past 20 years since Roger built that rifle in 1998 and the metal finish looks as good now as it did then and lord, it's been EVERYWHERE!! The stock has 20 years of real hunting wear and scratches, but still looks good to me anyway. I hunt 45 to 50 days a year in all weather and that rifle goes with me no matter what. You can see it by going here -->> http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-shot/58519-custom-1s-2.html. It is the second series of photo's. I am registered on the Ruger Forum as Old Rifle Crank.

Here is a link to a Rifle Magazine article about Roger's work -->> https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/R 226 Partial (LO) 2.pdf

Scroll down to the article about the Winchester Low Wall rifle done by Roger Ferrell. It's right down at the bottom. I have actually shot that rifle on Roger's range and it looks a lot better than those photo's show. On the way down the page, you can see his add in Rifle Magazine for a 416 Rigby Magnum. His work has been featured in Rifle magazine many times because he builds really unique and well done rifles.

Last edited:
Back