L46 Anybody familiar with these scope bases

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Derek Teschler, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Derek Teschler

Derek Teschler Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I have this mid to late 50's on hold at a local shop but have not seenbthese rings or bases before. Has a period correct Unertl hawk scope. Just curious if the receiver has most likely been drilled. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Most aftermarket bases didn't need to be screwed on. If they were it wasn't required. They are simply driven on & the tapered Sako dovetails allow recoil forces to keep them tight. We see all kinds of aftermarket aberrations when it comes to scope mounting on Sakos. Seems a lot of people didn't understand or couldn't obtain the Sako ringmounts. I don't know much about the different brands, but if I had to guess, I'd say the bases in the pic were made by Talley. I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The bases could be Talley, or it could be a Stith mount that somebody has cut off the connector arm between the front and rear bases. Or maybe Stith made 2-piece bases as well as one-piece. Both Stith and Talley used the same kind of vertically split rings. Hard to be sure from the photo.

Here'sa Stith mount to compare. Stith Mount 1.JPG Stith Mount 2.JPG

And here's a Talley mount on an FN action.
    300 Old Scope Mounts 3.JPG