Stoeger AV .375

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Schmit55, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Schmit55

Schmit55 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    I have a stoger imported AV 375 I got today. I think it is pretty cool. What rings and scope do I need.

I would also like one in 308 or 7-08 is anyone knows of one.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Much depends on what you intend to hunt and under what lighting conditions, but for most hunting with that sort of rifle, a low-powered scope is appropriate. My default choice would be a Leupold 1.5-5x VXIII or similar in either original Sako rings or, if the gun has open sights, Warne QD rings (discontinued, but can sometimes be found on eBay or Gunbroker). I have that Leupold in Sako rings on an AV in 9.3x62mm, a ballistically similar cartridge.

3. Schmit55

Schmit55 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thank you!

So are the Warne QD called just warne qd for sako?

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Yes. They are vertically split and were made in low, medium, and high. They were also made for fixed mounting, without the QD feature. Here's what the QD rings look like on a long-action Sako. They have tabs that index the rings on the ejection port. The scope is a 1.75-6x Leupold VX-III.
    AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG

5. Schmit55

Schmit55 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Thanks, I think I will do the same thing - if I can find them. Medium height should work with a 40mm objective.

6. Schmit55

Schmit55 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
  7. Schmit55

Schmit55 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Michigan
    Looks like I should run the Leupold with the scope turned 90 degrees with a duplex reticle so the windage adjustment doenst impead the ejection.

Any thoughts on where to dine a used VXIII?

8. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Congrats Schmitt,

I'm a fan of Warne mounts too. Be aware the current maxima series rings for the 75/85 models likely will not work on older models. I've tried. I have found the non-QD mounts, but they are rare. I don't know if Talley makes them, you might look there. As for 'A' series fullstock or Kokotukki models, good luck. It took me several years to find an AII .308. I recently bought an AV .338 from a poster here. 7-08 might be impossible to find. Rare to the extreme. Bloody rare...

9. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    You should not need to rotate the rifle scope on an AV rifle when mounting a VX III rifle scope. The ejection angle is plenty low to clear the windage turret, I’ve mounted on several occasions, 1.5-5 Leupolds, in low ringmounts, both Leupold and Sako - and never had a spent case not clear.

gowyo likes this.
  10. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Check with Rodger at [email protected]. He usually has a few used Leupolds in stock.

11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The AV will have NO EJECTION ISSUES! You must be thinking of the current Model 85 that has shown that tendency with certain caliber/scope combinations. The ejector is completely different between these two models. The AV is good to go with any scope you put on it.

gowyo and bigcountry4me like this.