1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Stoeger AV .375

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Schmit55, Mar 31, 2021.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Icebear says, the 2.5-8 Leupold is just barely long enough for a long action Sako. I have some original Sako extension ringmounts in medium height, which is appropriate for the 36mm objective bell. The front mount is the extension mount and will turn either forward for a long-bodied scope (not many of those around anymore), or rearward for a short bodied scope. I actually have two sets of these and would sell one. If you're interested start a Private Conversation with me.

2. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    The straight portion of the 2.5-8x Leupold is five inches. That is uncomfortably short, leaving no room to adjust forward and back for eye relief. The 3.5-10x is about a quarter inch longer, with a 40mm adjustable objective. The 2.5-8x is a 36mm without AO. The photo below shows an AV with the 3.5-10x mounted on Australian-made pre-Optilock low mounts. Note that these mounts put the rings in the ideal position for mounting a short scope on a long action. These can be found on eBay or Gunbroker - sometimes.
    Rifle with 3.5-10x Leupold.JPG

Here is an AV in 9.3x62mm with a Leupold 1.5-5x in old-style Sako low mounts. Power and ballistics of the 9.3mm round are similar to a .375. I consider this an excellent setup for a heavy-caliber big-game rifle.
    AV-2.JPG

And finally, the Warne QD mounts I posted on the previous page, so you can see the side-by-side comparison with other mounts. This setup maximizes fore and aft adjustment for eye relief; the rings index on the ejection port. The rifle is an AIII, also a long action. The scope is a 1.75-6x E (Long discontinued, highly prized, and goes for a hefty price when it turns up for sale.)
    AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG