Finnwolf VL63 Belly of the beast

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by maxwatt, Dec 19, 2012.

1. maxwatt

maxwatt Active Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    [​IMG]
    This is how it sits in the triggerguard. This pin has a little spring at the, and can be launched across the room if you are not careful.
    Sako could have done a much better job designing this thing. My safety is a little sloppy. I can move it a little back and forth before it snaps over. And when it does it takes just a small push. It doesn’t take much force to unsafe it. [​IMG]
    The smal ridge that the pin rides against is just too narrow.
    All it would take to fix this is a stronger spring and a little design change to the button. Man I really wish I had a lathe right now…and a (whatsit called?) mill

2. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Maxwatt- Now it looks like it can be turned around and used in the lefthand fashion? Or am I jumping to conclusions?-Misako

3. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    There is a hammer spring on gunbroker I saw one a week ago

4. eddsako

eddsako Banned

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    This is a great thread revealing what most collectors haven't seen as pulling a VL63 apart is a scary and ambitious procedure.
    Thanks for posting keep us informed. Maybe piper can post his collection as its one of the most diverse VL63 collections I have seen. I thought I saw pipers thread a while back but cant locate it on the site anyone know the link.

5. maxwatt

maxwatt Active Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    [​IMG]
    There are two flat surfases on the safetybutton, one for the pin and a cut out to allow the trigger to move.

They are not parallell and are a little offset sideways
    [​IMG]
    And then there is the slot for the guide screw…So i dont think its possible to switch it around.

6. bigbear

bigbear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I continue to be amazed at how well these Finnwolf rifles shoot.My shooter Finnwolf ( the non pristine one) shoots almost as tight groups as above with store bought, plain Jane 150gr sp ammo. It just doesn't seem right!:confused:

7. giorgio brunetti

giorgio brunetti Member

Country Flag:
    Italy
    State/Region:
    other
    if you send to me the quote of hammer spring guide (514) i'll will be able to make it. i need for me too

8. maxwatt

maxwatt Active Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    Here you go

Attached Files:

9. Luke

Luke Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Tasmania
    Max How did you reassemble the internals . I have got mine apart at the moment and am getting the metal barrel and metal parts re-blued. I am a bit worried about getting the hammer and the spring back in . I have got the lever cogs soted but am a bit unsure about how to get the hammer and spring back in and get it all functioning properly, any tips would be great.

10. maxwatt

maxwatt Active Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    Have it upside down in a cradle. There is actually more than one way of putting it together.
    Either hold the cogwheels to the lever while setting the spring guide in its seat. The last thing is to press the pin that holds the lever in place.
    Or you can reassemble everything except the spring and guide. Leave the pin against the trigger and slip the spring and guide on to it. Use something like a small screwdriver to push on the guide to compress the spring and slip it into its seat.

11. maxwatt

maxwatt Active Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    Like this

Attached Files:

12. maxwatt

maxwatt Active Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    Or like this

Attached Files:

13. Trapper56

Trapper56 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Well, I just did the final two fixes to my Finnwolf, and now, other than sighting it in, it's 100%... This was the second time I've taken it down to remove the bolt. I am finally confident in taking Finnwolves apart. Breaking them down and taking them apart to their components it fairly easy, but putting them back together properly is the hard part. It's a bit tricky as previously mentioned, but it's not impossible by any means. The things I did/fixed were: 1) I replaced the ejector spring. When I received the rifle (used from Gunbroker) I noticed that the cases were not ejecting. They would just dribble or fall out of the ejection port. I bought a number of ejector springs for my other rifles from Midway. Finnwolf ejector springs are rare, so I wanted to see if I could get a readily available spring to work. Out of the batch I bought, the Browning BAR ejector spring was the closest fit. It was about a third longer than the original spring. I just put them side-by-side, old weak original, and the BAR spring, and compared lengths and the number of coils, then I cut the BAR spring. I had to do a few adjustments before a dummy cartridge would fully seat on the bolt face. You can do this check with the bolt in your hand. Just hook the rim onto the extractor, then rock it back onto the ejector button. If it doesn't rock back all the way so that the case head is flush with the boltface, take it out and cut a bit more spring off. Now, it ejects the cases smartly from the receiver ! ... 2) The second fix was the safety. I REALLY considered the safety on this Finnwolf as "unsafe". Just the slightest touch on the button would throw the safety into the "fire" position. I found myself constantly checking to make sure the safety was on. That's not good ! My fix was this: I could not find another spring that was stiffer than this original safety "plunger spring"... so I took the safety button out, and I did some judicious fine grinding on the surface where the plunger button contacts the safety slide. There's a small ridge or "rise", call it what you will, that separates "safe" from "fire". It is shown in one of the previous pictures in this thread. I ground a small "groove" or "gully" where the plunger contacts the safety button "slide" in the SAFE position. I used a dremel tool with the "cut off wheel" attachment to make the groove. Now, it takes three to four times more force on the button to set it to "fire" from the "safe" position, and THAT is perfect !!! I would not hesitate to hunt with it now... Before ??? Nope !! I would not hunt with it, it was too loose... ☹️...

So, I hope these two fixes can help someone else with their Finnwolf, should they see the same problems...

Trapper...

14. Luke

Luke Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Tasmania
    Heres my cleaned up Finnwolf in 243,had got a new red-field scope mounted on Vintage SAKO optilock rings. Thanks for all your help. Have been having some feeding issues as the magazine isn't sitting snugly in the housing will have to work out something Resized_20170404_165053.jpeg to fix this but otherwise is working well.

Stan the Gun man likes this.
  15. Luke

Luke Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Tasmania
    Whilst it does seem daunting, taking a finnwolf apart and getting it back together is achievable. Just take your time and lay it out logically. I have got the process that I used written down thanks to help form you guys on here with pictures. happy to share with anyone. I have also found some suppliers for but plates. Mine has brand new one on it looks like new. These rifles are special and if you have one you look after it.

16. Pastorreload

Pastorreload Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee

17. Pastorreload

Pastorreload Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Maxwatt,
    I just joined the board. Inherited my first SAKO, Finnwolf 308 a few weeks ago. It has been in my fathers attic for at least 45 years. Looked in real good condition except it felt like it had been put up in cosmoline when I tried to work the action. Tore it down totally and now I am trying to re-assemble. Hope you can help, found a part, see attached picture, that I cannot remember where it went. I have been unable to identify on the parts breakdown drawing. Can you identify?Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. First time I have been inside of a Finnwolf

Attached Files:

18. maxwatt

maxwatt Active Member

Country Flag:
    Norway
    Are you sure it came out of your finnwolf?
    That does not look like anything I have in my gun.
    it might resemble the hammer spring guide 514.
    Do you have the exploded view drawing at hand?

19. Pastorreload

Pastorreload Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    I am pretty sure. It does look like 514, but 514 is still pinned to the hammer. I did not dis-assemble the trigger group. My big mistake was to dis-assemble this thing before I got any material, as little as there is available. I have put about 24 hours in it trying to reassemable. I do have the drawing. Do you have a re-assembly procedure?

20. Pastorreload

Pastorreload Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Tennessee
    Luke
    I would greatly appreciate a copy of your process. I am 24 hours into the reassembly of my first finnwolf and I am having minimal success.