1. Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim
    Dismiss Notice

Bofors Stamped Barrels

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by douglastwo, Jun 15, 2022.

1. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The post about Bofors stamped barrels made me think of the often discussed topic regarding the value difference of stamped and non-stamped rifles. Since I collect pretty much only the Sako rifles with the Bofors stamp, I'm too biased , except in one case, to offer an opinion on the value of the Bofors stamp. The one exception is the Golden Anniversary model. I remember the buzz in 1971 about the "special run" of a Sako rifle to celebrate their 50th anniversary. The GA was all the talk in 71. When they finally began hitting the shelf it didn't take much time to hear the complaint "where's the Bofors stamp". Even though Sako had stopped stamping Bofors in 68 or 69. a lot of people were certain that a few of the early production rifles would have the stamp. After all, Sako was setting stock blanks aside for the GA almost 3 years before they hit the shelves. Of course, no GA is marked Bofors. IMHO, leaving off the stamp was like a kick in the you know where. I remember some dealers still had them in stock 4-5 years later. For this model, I believe the Bofors stamp would have pumped their value up. "Bofors Steel" ....this stamp on the barrel is a good talking point for sales.
    GA model.jpg

L61R and sakojim like this.

2. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I agree douglastwo. Just for conversation, I wonder just how many of the G A rifles actually made it to the USA and what would one be worth. Sakojim.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I'll try to answer that.

The first I can find was a single rifle (SN C153) shipped to Impecco (Garcia's importing subsidiary) on the 31 March 1971. Curiously, this was during a period of 1971 when both FI and Garcia were importing, so the next were three GA's shipped to Firearms International on 4 June 1971 followed by four more to FI on 8 June 1971. Presumably, those seven GA's would be marked with the FI import mark on the underside of the barrel, but I've never seen a report of one of these.

It appears that the first "commercial" shipment to Impecco was 18 rifles on 13 August 1971, followed by 42 copies on 10 Septemer 1971.

It was not until 25 August 1972 that any were shipped anywhere other than the U.S. On that date 45 were sent to "Mssrs. Firearms" (the British distributor). Then in September of 1972 three went to what appear to be German outlets and one to a Belgian distributor. Sweden got one in October and Britain five more in November. If you've been following the math the non-U.S. shipments add up to 55 rifles.

There were supposedly 1,000 of this limited edition made. However, I can identify only 713 in the shipping records. Of those, 658 were shipped to the U.S.

Can't answer that for you, but I haven't seen an "as new" one sell for under $2,000 in quite a while.

sakojim likes this.
  4. sakojim

sakojim Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Thank you stonecreek. It is interesting to learn that so many came to the USA. Evidently they are highly regarded as I do not recall ever seeing one offered for sale. Sakojim.

5. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've also not seen any in the last couple years sell for less than $2000. I've seen a dozen or so in the last 2 years priced between $2500 and $2900. I didn't follow up to see what they sold for, but they all disappeared from the market and didn't languish on the market unsold for months. Maybe that means they sold for close to what they were listed for. With the GA the pluses are NIB with all paper work, 3 lug bolt (late production guns will likely have 2 lugs), and look for outstanding wood (not many have great wood). These pluses are worth a few hundred premium.

deergoose and stonecreek like this.
  6. Jeffy1

Jeffy1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I agree with D2, especially concurring that the better the wood figure, the higher the price- that I am willing to pay.

deergoose likes this.
  7. Jeffy1

Jeffy1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Mr Stonecreek, thanks much for taking the time to review the records to determine the numbers for those golden anniversaries. That is valuable information.

susanna and deergoose like this.