Brass desposal

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Bucktote, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi fellow Sako fans,
    I came across some brass from a friend, It contained Remington/ Peters .243 all under 2.025 oal which is reportidly out of specs. Also mixed in are 21 ea. 22.250 casings that i did not measure. All cases looked sound. any suggestions as to what to do with unwanted cases and could anyone use the .22.250 cases as finding brass is getting to be a problem, and I have no use for them. SAKO chambering I am told is quite tight to specs and I am wondering if any damage could have been done to his uncles Remington if he fired the short .243 s in it ? I will not attempt to use them in my Forester .243 as I have not fired it yet and would not take any chances damaging any rifle by using questionable brass.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Short necks will not harm anything. Fire away, they get longer as you shoot them! If they are "unwanted" just throw them in the trash. I sold a small box of worn out miscellaneous brass a few months ago that weighed about 16 lbs at a local metal recycling facility for about $60. Sako chamberings are no different than any other maker. They all use the same reamers to comply with SAAMI or CIP specs. If you FL resize any brass how could it "damage" his Uncle's Remington? Brass is markedly softer than barrel steel last time I checked.

3. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Paulson ,
    Thanks for the help I was afraid that the shorter necks would allow greater erossion in the throat area. as the brass was given to me to use. Don't know how the 22.250 brass was with them they look a lot alike. I will use the shortys as a fouling shot round when I zero in the Forester. Also I read an older thread you posted about using Hawken Black powder rifles in Iowa I have 3, two 45 cal & 1 50 cal. I have a green Mountain Barrel 1/30 twist that is very accurate with 80 grains FFF & T/C maxi ball. Hope yours are good as well.

4. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    My GM barrel is a 50 with a 66 twist for PRB. It is one of the best crafted barrels I own, including my modern centerfires. My 54 has a 48 twist factory (Investarm) barrel & shoots 425 grain Maxi-Balls better than I can hold. The 54 is what I hunt with. The 50 PRBs are for plinking & "Rondy" target matches. I shoot the Holy Black more than the modern stuff as I find it a more relaxing endeavor. Put about 200 balls through my Navy Colt last Saturday. It's as accurate as any handgun I own & has a ton more charisma!! With 25 lbs of powder & 40 pounds of lead on hand, I don't worry about the "ammo shortage". I love all my Sakos, but they are so boringly accurate I don't shoot them all that much.

5. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hi Paulson,
    I zeroed 45 cal. Green Mtn. 1st shot 4" low & 1/2" right @ 100 yds. Moved 16 clks. up & 2 clks. left, brushed barrel, next shot= perfect bulls eye. No touch any thing!!! 3 years later missed buck @ 71 yds ( picked head up at the pull of the trigger) My bad. Went to range set up @ 71 yds, bulls eye after 3 years . NOT the ARROW's fault!! Our black powder season is only 1 week long so if somthing comes up I miss the chance to shoot B.P. Will send pics of Hawkens & Renagade. No pics for my 2nd 45 cal hawken but it is a good one too. I used to buy Hawken stocks on E-Bay, checker them & resell them, but they are so expensive now & I got hand problems.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  6. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
  7. Bucktote

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thanks Paulson,
    You may like to try R.E.A.L. projectiles in your 1/66 twist barrel. It is much like a PRB, as its shape is short & you can do away with patching with the lead ball.
    I find them accurate in my 50 cal.