Browning HiPower Safari grade 243 Trigger

Discussion in 'Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers and Magnum Mausers' started by Troy Siefert, Jan 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Troy Siefert

Troy Siefert Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I just purchased used a Browning Hi Power Safari grade 243. I love the gun but I need some help with the trigger. It looks like an MH Carjan set trigger. I don't know anything about these and would appreciate any wisdom you can share. Is it a good trigger? Is it difficult to work on? etc. Thank you! IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3813.JPG IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3817.JPG

Attached Files:

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The trigger acts as a normal 2-4 pound pull, in it's unset position.

Push the trigger shoe forward to "set" the trigger for a very light pull.

Check these two functions with the rifle UNLOADED.

Hope this helps.

3. Troy Siefert

Troy Siefert Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thanks for the reply Kevin, that information is helpful. Given that's how it's supposed to operate, something is wrong with it. It won't "set" the for the lightweight trigger pull blade to be used. Not knowing anything about these myself, can you describe how to dismantle it to figure out what's wrong. I checked with a local gunsmith last night and not only did they not recognize what it was but their rates seem very high to me at $100/hr but that may be going rate these days. I haven't taken a gun into a smith for decades. Thanks in advance.

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If I recall correctly, the trigger is "set" when.....after the bolt is cocked....the trigger shoe is pushed forward without touching the small center lever. Since it is spring loaded, the center lever will move forward slightly......now set.

Since this set trigger design depends on the center lever spring loaded inertia to move the main trigger arm......be sure the spring loading function is operating correctly.

5. Troy Siefert

Troy Siefert Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thanks again.