Calling all customs!

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by paulsonconstruction, Dec 4, 2020.

1. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That will add the finishing touch to a great looking rifle.

2. sakodeluxe

sakodeluxe Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Sako AII Classic that was re-barreled to 257 Roberts, re-blued and has a custom set of mounts. I bought it last spring but just started shooting it a few weeks ago. Not a good day for pics here but these aren't too bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Coleman Cowboy

Coleman Cowboy Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Sakodeluxe, that is one handsome Bob. I've always wanted one (and bracketed it with a rebarreled L579 in .250 Savage and .25-06) but never had one. Seeing yours makes me want to grab my old L579 .243 (my very first Sako), rebarrel it to .257 and have it stocked in a classic pattern just like this.

Man, this thread is gonna get expensive in a hurry!

Mark

4. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Nice wood. I like the cross-hatch effect from the combination of tiger striping and prominent grain. Sako took a lot more care with the stocks on the Classic than on other models, and generally used a higher grade of wood. The oil finish also is better looking than the more typical high-gloss varnish, at least in my opinion.

5. sakodeluxe

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Thanks! My tastes in Sako's has changed over the years from the pre 72's to the more recent guns. I still like the older guns but am sick of dealing with crushed recoil pads and sometimes cracked gloss finishes.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Here's my contribution for today. It's an L46 heavy barrel with a custom stock. I got this in the late 90's at a gun show in Virginia. The seller claimed it was the work of well-known custom builder Al Biesen, but had no documentation. It has no visible markings other than the usual Sako stamps. I had the gun apart once and found no signature in the barrel channel. That said, comparing it with photos of known Biesen guns, it looks like it could be his work. A guy who claimed to know Biesen told me that he sometimes didn't sign his work - again, hearsay. Al Biesen is long gone, but his son is still in the gun business and I've thought of e-mailing him some photos and asking him what he thinks. Maybe this discussion of custom Sakos will motivate me. In any case, the old saying "Buy the gun, not the story" is applicable here. I liked the rifle and the price was right, so I bought it. I'm glad I did, too - it's a real tack driver. My best group with it is about 3/8" at 100 yards, using handloads with 52 grain Sierra Match Kings and 4198. The metal on the gun appears to be all original except that the bolt and bolt guide have been engine turned. With a serial number in the 13000 range, it's an early-production .222 L46, most likely built around 1953-54.

I like the curved Neidner buttplate and matching grip cap; I think they add class to a custom gun. The quality of the work fitting the buttplate and the fine-line checkering mark the gun as the product of a master craftsman, whether is was Biesen or somebody else.

The scope is a Leupold 6.5-20x VX-III in Sako high rings. The power ring is click-stopped at 8x,12x, and 16x, a feature I haven't noticed on other scopes. The second rifle in a couple of the pictures is an unmodified L461 heavy barrel in .222 Magnum with a Leupold 12x. Both scopes have screw-in hoods.

That's it for today; another installment tomorrow.

Biesen 1.JPG Biesen 2.JPG Biesen 3.JPG Biesen 4.JPG Biesen 5.JPG

7. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    My rabbit rifle, which I have posted before, Sako S491 in 6mm PPC. Shilin match barrel, .269 neck, 1 in 14 twist. Custom walnut thumb hole stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How does it shoot using our own 67gn projectile ?
    [​IMG]

Pete

8. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    No flies on that Pete - shoots extremely well! Looks like you use a mirage shield when shooting at the range?

Marcus

Foxhunter223 likes this.
  9. L61R

L61R SCC President Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    Sweden
    State/Region:
    SE Ostergotland
  10. Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    One I put together.Might be my all time favorite for my part of the world.Tack driver using factory 85gr TSX @3550fps.

1974 Weatherby Custom Shop with Canjar set trigger,jeweled bolt and follower,2 panel checkered bolt knob,Conetrol bases and rings,12x Target Leupold,1976 Bicentennial commemorative stock that I had Western Hunter Classics remove the bicentennial plaque from and add the inlays and put the scene of the bobcat and coyote in it's place. 102_5384.JPG 102_5385.JPG

This is my truck gun during deer season.I drop to my custom Varmintmaster in the off season.Pics to come of it also.

11. Thomas Davis

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Early Japan made Varmintmaster.Canjar trigger and stock are all that is custom to the rifle.Again Western Hunter Classics did the stock.The blank was acquired from the widow of an Oregon stock maker's curing warehouse.The blank was at least 35 years old when I bought it 12 years ago.12x Target Leupold.Loves the 50 grain Nosler BT at a 102_5386.JPG 102_5387.JPG modest 3700fps.W760 compressed load.

12. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Thomas: Beautiful wood, especially the striped Maple. You didn't say but I assume they are 240 & 224 Weatherby Magnums. Who shaped your blank? Appears to be exact shape as you Walnut stock.

13. Thomas Davis

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I forget the name of the stock maker in Washington that had the duplicator.They had just purchased it and I had to send them the factory stock that was on the Varmintmaster so they could put it in the duplicator to form the Maple stock.Then it went to Western Hunter Classics to have the inlays put in and finish sprayed on.I wish I had one of those duplicator machines.They are amazing.I used to have a video of them using the duplicator,but it was on one a couple of laptops back.And yes they are 240 magnum and 224 magnum.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  14. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This is my idea of a custom rifle - classic lines, slender profile, and beautiful wood, exquisitely checkered and finished. Simplicity, perfectly executed.

L61R likes this.
  15. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    This rifle started life as a J.C. Higgins Model 52 back in the 1950's. When I bought this L46 actioned rifle it wore a 26" barrel chambered in 222 Rem & had a banded ramp front sight. Showed bluing wear & the stock had the usual minor dings associated with a 50+ year old hunting rifle. Like many of the proprietary rifles built by other manufacturers on Sako actions it exhibited quality you just don't see on your regular production grade rifles of today, like full wrap around forearm checkering, quality metal polish, & nice wood to metal fit. Through the aged finish I could see the subtle beauty of the America Walnut & beings I was looking for a rifle to make a build on, I bought it. Sent the barreled action to Pac-Nor, which is one of the barrel makers that will do a custom contour, & had them barrel it. They matched the contour of the original barrel so it would fit exactly into the stock, cut & crowned it @ 22" & chambered it to 20 Vartarg. It has a match grade bore with 3 grooves & a 1 in 11" twist. If you have never owned one of Pac-Nor's 3 groove rifled barrels, you owe it to yourself to make one your next barrel, I promise. They clean so easy it's incredible. Then it was Mike Bruening's turn to work his magic polishing & bluing the metal. I even had him blue the bolt body to give it a "different" look, which I kinda like. While the barrel & metal work was being done I refinished the stock & repointed the checkering. The wood, while not "squiggly", has a subtle beauty, IMHO, & it's shape & cheekpiece offer a classic appeal. About 5 years ago I found the scope which it is now permanently mated to. A guy on eBay sent an old M8-8x scope to Leupold for repair. Seems it was so old that Leupold couldn't fix it, so had their custom shop build a new FX-II 8x scope, with all the new technology & lens coatings to meet their lifetime warranty commitment. The box & paperwork say it was made in Dec. 2014. The guy didn't want, and I quote, "some old stupid fixed power" so he wanted to sell it so he could get one of those variable powered telescopes people mount on rifles now-a-days. I won't say how much I paid for it for fear of being arrested for theft. It is the only FX-II 8x I am aware of. This is hands down my favorite varmint/PD gun & the 20 Vartarg is absolutely the best little varmint round ever! I never tire of shooting this rifle. BTW, the 20 Vartarg is great on fox & bobcat. No fur damage, as I haven't had a bullet exit yet!!

Sako vartarg.jpg Sako Vartarg B.jpg

16. sakodeluxe

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
  17. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    6.5x57. It's on the gun in one of the photos in the link Jim provided.

L61R likes this.
  18. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    6.5x57 is a great caliber that is almost completely unknown to American shooters. It never caught on here, probably because it was too close to the relatively popular .257 Roberts. Performance is about the same as the 6.5 Swedish. Like its Swedish counterpart, the 6.5x57 is capable of superlative accuracy. I used to have a Sauer 200 in that caliber that shot half-inch groups with boring consistency.

L61R likes this.
  19. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That is a really fine job of restoring and personalizing a neglected classic. And I'm with you on fixed power scopes. If you can find a good deal on a fixed power scope that is right for the specific mission of the rifle, or if a rifle arrives with a good fixed scope already mounted, why not use it? I have variables on most of my rifles, in large part because I've found them secondhand at good prices, but I am not about to replace the original 6x Kollmorgen on my wing-safety L46 just because it's "out of date." It isn't, and for that matter neither is the gun.

Then there is this matter of .20 Vartarg. I have nothing against the cartridge, it's a well-designed item that does its job. It's the name that is an offense to the English language. It's even worse that all the silly plays on words that Conetrol came up with. Spoken aloud, it sounds like the name of some villain or demon in an ancient Runic saga.

"It was a day of evil omens when Vartarg the Vile crowned himself High King of Graustark. The sky was gray, wolves howled, smoke was seen on the Dragon Mountain, the night-bats flew in daylight..."
    Enough said.

20. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I own more rifles than should be allowed or I care to admit, but I only own three variable power scopes. Sadly, I am in the minority as I believe we are witnessing the extinction of the fixed power scope. Like many things with firearms, they won't be missed or appreciated until they are gone. Gizmos & gimics are the order of the day when it comes to rifle optics. Not sure on the origin of Vartarg. I just call mine "sweetheart". Critters probably think it's "vile" though. Thanks for the compliment.